SURF FOR BEGINNERS - EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW

42

Surf, the sport of the kings, or if we attend to what Noel Gallagher thinks, the sport of idiots!

Maybe you're a king or an idiot ... or both and you're wondering if this post is for you, or maybe you do not feel identified with either of the two descriptions. What follows is a mini guide for beginner surfers, with a brief introduction to the family of board sports, such as skateboarding, snowboarding, golfboarding, etc. Obviously, this mini-guide does not contain "everything you need to know" about surfing, but maybe, it does contain about 40% of what you need to know along with a selection of non-essential information.

HISTORY OF SURFIN

The history of surfing has not too humble beginnings in Polynesia where it was closely linked to the social class and only the nobility had exclusive rights over the best surfboards and the best waves. With the discovery of Polynesia in the 18th century, surfing was banned, along with various traditions, because it was considered immoral. In the first half of the 20th century, it had a resurgence thanks to the Olympic champion swimmer Duke Kahanamoku and, in the second half of the century, continued to rise thanks to the counter-culture. Nowadays surf water is good for health and more since the entrance of the internet era in which the information on how and when to go surfing is available to all and free of charge.

EQUIPMENT FOR SURFING

What you will undoubtedly need is a surfboard and, preferably, one of the form and size suitable for your particular needs, which will depend on a number of factors. The boards have keels, usually three, and are attached to the board at the bottom to provide stability and traction. Another basic element is the invention, a strap that is tied to the ankle and attached to the board and prevents when we fall the table goes off.

And, unless you're a committed nudist and have an unusual resistance to friction, you're also going to need some kind of swimsuit, ideally, one for surfers to avoid chafing/slipping. However, the reality for Galician surfers or surfers in Galicia is the need also a neoprene suit that isolates you and allows you to perform the movements that a surfer makes on the board, often the suit extends from the head to the feet. Also in these latitudes sometimes it is also convenient to wear boots, gloves and neoprene hood.

WAVES

The waves are generated by the wind that blows in the high seas and, as a general rule, the more offshore the better the quality of the resulting waves will be generated. In optimal conditions, or "clean", when the waves reach the coast the wind blows back to the sea, this happens for example in offshore directions.

The wavy lines, that is to say, the waves, rise near the shore and, eventually, break. The steeper the slope of the seabed the steeper the wave will be when it breaks. When this happens there is a hollow tube inside which an expert surfer will move like a fish in the water while a mid-level surfer will surf the "open face" of the wave, this surfer will require the wave to break right or left. However, in the beginning, it is best to learn in foams, that is, in waves that are already broken. There are different types of waves, but as a general rule for beginners, waves that break on sand are preferable to those that break on rock for obvious safety reasons. Check out surf water promotion.

SAFETY WHILE SURFING

If you have never surfed before, it would be unwise not to invest in a surf course with a qualified instructor, under whose direction and vigilant eye you can not only improve much faster, but also have much less chance of drowning. The better you know how to swim the faster you will evolve, however all the hours of swimming in the pool that you have do not replace the experience and respect you have for the sea, where there are added elements such as waves, currents, wind or tide that can Surprise the most expert swimmer in the pool. Do not be ashamed to ask the lifeguards about the potential dangers, which will vary from beach to beach. Being rescued by them later would be even more embarrassing.

The presence of other surfers can also be a danger to you as well as you can pose a danger to other surfers. The most important thing you must learn before going into the water to surf is the surfer code, which we will talk about at length in a specific post. As a summary, do everything possible to always have the table with you unless you are absolutely sure that no one is behind you, also, in the beginning the most common is that you use a foam board without hard outer layer, these tables apart from Being easier to handle can prevent damage. As a rule, do not paddle beyond the peak where the highest level surfers are, since you could be a nuisance and, in addition, could cause an accident.

SURFERS

Surfers are to some extent a kind of homogenous group with a tendency to be selfish bastards: territorial and resentful of the hordes of newcomers. Invest a little time in learning the surfer code and you will see that more than selfish bastards we are majetes!

The biggest surfer of all time is, by far, Kelly Slater, who has won eleven world titles - the first with just 20 years and the most recent with 39 years - and at 44 he still competes with the best surfers in the world . Some consider them the best sportsman of all time, better even than Muhammed Ali, Michael Jordan or Usain Bolt.

SURFING COMPETITIONS

Most surfers have never participated in any type of competition and many do not even believe that competitions are attractive to the viewer as they can be difficult to follow and often conditioned by bad conditions. However, they can be addictive once you know what to look for and very exciting when the waves cooperate.

The world championship, organized by the World Surf League, consists of 11 events each year, begins in Australia and ends on the Hawaiian island of Oahu where the most important tournament of all, the Pipeline Masters, is held. The surfer with more points at the end of the season is crowned as world champion. The competitions, which are broadcast live online, follow a format of eliminations in which 36 surfers start competing with each other in series of two or three. The maneuvers are scored over ten by the judges, with the two best scores being added to the overall score.