The Supreme Court Shouldn't Have Rejected Remington's Appeal
Currently

The Supreme Court Needs To Understand That Suing Gunmakers Won’t Bring Back The Dead

Gun rights are a national issue right now and the only way to address the issue is for cases to be heard by the Supreme Court.

268

For those who are not as familiar with this situation, the families of the Sandy Hook school shooting victims are fighting to sue Remington Arms, the manufacturer of the AR-15 rifle used in the shooting. After going back and forth between courts in Connecticut, the Connecticut Supreme Court ruled in favor of the parents, allowing them to proceed with the lawsuit. Remington filed an appeal with the United States Supreme Court, which was rejected on November 12, 2019.

The justices did not even provide reasoning as to why they will not hear the case. They just rejected it.

The families argue that Remington wrongfully marketed the gun, "knowingly [marketing] and [promoting] the Bushmaster XM15-E2S rifle for use in assaults against human beings." The families who lost their children are trying to prove the company created a gun that promoted the shooter to go kill as many people as he could and as fast as he could.

Remington's defense is that they are protected under the 2005 Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act, which limits gunmakers' legal liability when such shootings occur. While there are exceptions, such as if the manufacturer violated a law in marketing, Remington argues they did not do so and they are protected under the law. While the events that occurred are extremely unfortunate, it appears that the families are attempting to receive some form of compensation for their lost children.

However, this will not bring their children back and it is certainly not justice, which our system aims to achieve.

Whether you are for or against the right to own guns, this is a Second Amendment issue that needs to be heard by the Supreme Court. Later this term, they will be hearing New York State Rifle & Pistol Association Inc. v. City of New York, New York, in which members of the NY State Rifle & Pistol Association argue that the strict gun laws the city enforces guns only being able to be carried to and from shooting ranges with other strict regulations. While this is a good start for the Supreme Court, our nation needs them to hear Remington's defense and make a decision for the county with regards to the Second Amendment.