The Supreme Court's LGBTQ Vote, Explained
Currently

The Supreme Court FINALLY Ruled Against Work Discrimination For Gay And Trans People

It has been five years since same-sex couples won the right to marry legally in America. But there was never any national standard that it was illegal for an employer to fire someone based on their gender identity or sexual orientation.

1388

The Supreme Court ruled on Monday that discriminating against employees simply for being gay or transgender is illegal.

In the case Bostock v. Clayton County, Georgia, Gerald Bostock was allegedly fired for "conduct 'unbecoming' a county employee" after he joined a gay recreational softball league. The decision that such firings count as discrimination under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, was six to three.

What's even more unbelievable is that it is 2020 and this is just now finally happening. The first gay rights organization started in Chicago in 1924. It was called the Society for Human Rights. That was nearly 100 years ago. Although being gay has been something that has been demonized for a long time, it has taken us this long to make it illegal for someone to get fired based on something that has no significance in a job setting.

This ruling comes during Pride Month, which marks the history of the LGBTQ+ movement in America and globally and all the progress that has been made to secure equal rights for everyone in the community.

It should have never taken this long for this ruling to be made but it is nonetheless a huge victory for the LGBTQ+ community. And though there is still more work to be done, this decision is another step in the direction of true freedom for any that identify in the community.