5 Ways You Can Support The Black Community Beyond Posting On Social Media

Yes, posts are great, but there is a lot more to be done.

275

As a minority, I still will never understand what it feels like to be Black. I can have similar experiences, my heart can ache for the community, but at the end of the day, I will never understand it. The more I have been active in group-chats and social media as a whole, I have noticed repeated issues and concerns in how to best be an ally right now. So, here is a list of 5 ways you can best support the Black community beyond posting a black screen on Instagram.

1. Understand that Black Lives Matter is a movement that goes far beyond the issue of police brutality.

The Global Black Lives Matter Movement does work concerning racial injustice, police brutality, criminal justice reform, Black immigration, economic injustice, LGBTQ and human rights, environmental injustice, access to healthcare, access to quality education, and voting rights and suppression.

To say and state that Black Lives Matter, it is imperative to understand the movement itself and that even after this pivotal time of need, you are still actively being an ally to all of these diverse needs of the Black community.

2. Do not lean on your Black and Brown friends to educate you on the crises they're facing.

Though you may not realize this, it is exhausting and simply not their responsibility to educate you. Whether it is when they are facing a crisis or not. It never has been, nor will it ever be, their responsibility. Using a simple Google search, you can pull up the Black Lives Matter's official website. If a Black person openly states they are willing to have conversations to educate, this is different, but as a whole, it is not their responsibility.

3. Donate to reliable organizations that have prompted a change.

Lots of organizations are taking donations, but very few have helped make a change for the Black Community. Here are some organizations that have been reliable and are run by Black activists.

Black Lives Matter

NAACP's Legal Defense and Education Fund

Community Bail Funds

4. Attend a protest.

Black Lives Matter's website lists each chapter's email address, website, Facebook page, and Twitter handle. This is a great way to see upcoming protests in your area. However, when protesting, make sure to protect yourself physically, legally, and digitally.

5. Use your privilege to have tough conversations within your social circles.

This is ultimately one of the easiest yet most intimidating ways ally's can be involved. However, it truly is imperative. Being able to have tough conversations about how Black Lives Matter is truly a nonpartisan movement, and it is beyond police brutality. Showing others who are not likely to listen to the Black community to open their eyes is a daunting task, and it is up to us as ally's to start having this conversation.

No Justice, No Peace.