It's Going to Be a Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious Summer at Disney

Eleven new offerings coming to Disney this summer that you won't want to miss

13
Siobhan D'Angelo

If you're anything like me you've been counting down the days, hours, minutes and seconds to Memorial Day Weekend. It's the unofficial start to summer and with it comes the promise of sun, tans and beach. If you happen to live in the Orlando, Florida area there's something else for you to look forward to: Disney!

It seems like Disney has been under constant refurbishment for many years. Beloved attractions such as Soarin' have been down for months and months. Fear not Disney lovers! Summer 2016 promises to bring a whole lot of new magic to everyone who needs their Disney fix this summer!

Here are the top eleven new additions to look forward to on your Disney visit this summer.

11. Disney's Animal Kingdom is extending their hours

One of the criticisms against Disney's Animal Kingdom has been this idea that many guests consider it to be a "half day park". While I personally disagree with this assessment, those who DO agree with this sentiment will soon have their voices silenced. Starting May 27, 2016 Disney's Animal Kingdom will stay open past sunset. If you love Animal Kingdom, you'll now be able to experience all of its amazing attractions in the dark!

10. The Tree of Life will Awaken

Not only is Disney's Animal Kingdom extending their hours, but they are also bringing new experiences to their guests! Previous visits to the park know the park's icon, the Tree of Life, well. Now there is something new to look forward to at this favorite picture spot. Each night fireflies filled with Disney magic will bring animal spirits to life set against the backdrop of the iconic tree. These spirits will tell colorful stories that educate and enrich the guest's experience.

9. Hyenas Come to Disney's Animal Kingdom

If you've been on the Kilimanjaro Safari recently, you may have seen animal keepers hovering behind a scared looking hyena or two in the spot where the prairie dogs generally are found. When park hours extend on May 27th, the Kilimanjaro Safari experience will be tweaked. When the sun goes down, the prairie dogs will be brought inside and hyenas will be brought out. Guests will now be treated to seeing nocturnal animals, such as hyenas, on the safari!

8. Harambe Wildlife Parti

Are you a party animal? If so head on over to Africa in Disney's Animal Kingdom for a new nighttime party! Join acrobats, dancers and singers in the popular Harambe Village at Disney's Animal Kingdom for a night you won't soon forget! Entertainment is set to include a female trio of singers called the Karibu Sisters, a shaman named Muziki, the Harambe Village Acrobats and even the Harambe Soccer Meekrats- who will entice guests to join their pick-up games!

7. Discovery Island Carnivale

The Harambe Village won't be the only location in Disney's Animal Kingdom that's alive to the beat come sunset! Join the Viva Gaia Street Band on Discovery Island to dance to the beat of songs inspired by the nature and beauty of the natural resources surrounding us all.

6. Tiffins and Nomad Lounge

New eateries round out the new offerings at Disney's Animal Kingdom. Tiffins will be a full table service restaurant serving both lunch and dinner. They menu is based on world cuisine, with dishes based on food from all continents and regions. The Nomad Lounge will offer tapas style small bite plates and beverages. Both will offer exotic handcrafted cocktails and wines from around the world.

5. The Jungle Book: Alive With Magic

Many Disney guests were looking forward to the opening of Rivers of Light on April 22, 2016. Unfortunately, the debut of this attraction has been indefinitely postponed. However, Disney is providing guests of Disney's Animal Kingdom with a limited engagement show this summer! Beginning on May 28, 2016 guests will be able to watch a new show inspired by Disney's "The Jungle Book" on Discovery River. With an Indian influence, the show will be a colorful presentation including classic songs from the film.

4. Star Wars: A Galactic Spectacular

If you love the new "Star Wars" themed fireworks show at Disney's Hollywood Studios you ain't seen nothing yet! Beginning on June 17, 2016 the most elaborate fireworks show in the history of Disney Parks will debut. Based on the ever popular "Star Wars" franchise, the new show will include fireworks, pyrotechnics, video projections and special effects. Guests will see a giant lightsaber illuminated in the sky. Additionally, buildings in Disney's Hollywood Studios (including the iconic Chinese Theatre) will be turned into favorite "Star Wars" hotspots such as the Death Star, the twin suns of Tatooine, a droid battle and much more! It promises to be an epic show befitting the first space epic.

3. Frozen Fun

Frozen is quite possibly the most popular Disney animated feature this century. Disney isn't hesitating to capitalize on its popularity. A couple of new experiences based on this animated feature film will be coming to Disney World this summer.

Frozen Ever After, the dark ride that took over Maelstrom's spot, will debut on June 21, 2016. The ride is located in Epcot's Norway pavilion. Guests will be transported to a "winter in summer day" courtesy of Elsa's powers before they visit Troll Mountain and return to the Bay of Arendelle.

Guests who wish to meet Anna and Elsa will no longer be able to find them in Princess Fairytale Hall. Anna and Elsa's Royal Sommerhus will open for meet and greets in the Norway pavilion in Epcot beginning on June 21, 2016.

The Frozen Games are coming to Disney's Blizzard Beach water park this summer! Guests will choose between joining Team Olaf or Team Kristoff and will join activities such as an ice pail relay, slide races, snowball toss and ski pole limbo!

2. Soarin' Round the World

Make sure you grab your last chance to experience the original Soarin' film between May 27, 2016 and June 16, 2016. On June 17, 2016 Soarin' will debut its new film- Soarin' Round the World! The new film will debut at Disney's Shanghai Resort on June 16, 2016. The film will highlight world landmarks and allow guests to traveling around the world in mere minutes- besting Jules Verne's record by 80 days!

1. Mickey's Royal Friendship Faire

A new castle show is coming to the Magic Kingdom! Featuring beloved characters from both classic and contemporary feature films, this show will feature original songs and, of course, magic. Join Mickey and his band of Merry Makers (Minnie, Donald Duck, Daisy Duck, and Goofy) as they invite characters from far off fairytale lands to a big party! Characters featured in the show include favorites from "Frozen", "Tangled", "The Princess and the Frog" and much more! The show will debut on June 17, 2016.

Bonus: Disney Springs

Disney Springs opened it's new Town Center on May 15, 2016. Over thirty new shops and dining experiences opened on this date. Stay tuned this summer as the remaining shows and dining experiences continue to open. Stores such as Uniqlo, Free People, Oakley, and much more are expected to open in the coming months, as well as some exciting new dining options. Celebrity Chef Art Smith is also opening a new restaurant called Homecoming featuring farm to Kirk southern style cuisine. Make sure you check out Disney's newest place to shop, dine and play

Double Bonus: Elena of Avalor

If your little one enjoys the new animated series on Disney Channel, you'll want to be sure to stop by the Magic Kingdom this August. Elena of Avalor, the first Disney Princess inspired by Latin culture, will make her debut sometime this August. She will be available to meet and greet with guests.

As you can see, there is a ton to look forward to this summer at Disney! Make sure you keep up with the wonderful new additions to Disney by checking reliable sources such as the official Disney Parks and Resorts blog or the official Disney World website. Everyone at Disney looks forward to welcoming you and your family home this summer!