Super Bowl XLIX Matchup: A Game for the Ages?

8

The biggest game of the year is right around the corner. The New England Patriots will face off against the defending champion Seattle Seahawks. It will be the second season in which both number one seeds faced each other in the championship. After beginning the season 2-2, the Patriots' season was thought to be over, but they won 10 of their last 12 to grab the first seed. Seattle had a similar start with a 3-3 record, but as their defense improved to the best in the league, they became the class of the NFC. 

Each franchise had a different path to the Super Bowl XLIX. Over the last 15 years, no player-coach duo has been more dominant than Tom Brady and Bill Belichick. After winning Super Bowls in 2001, 2003 and 2004, the best quarterback/head coach combination in NFL history has played for two more titles, but lost both to the New York Giants. Tom Brady has the most touchdowns and wins in playoff history, passing Joe Montana this postseason. A resurging young defense has aided Brady and the offense in being the most complete team in the AFC. In 2014, the team of the 2000s looks for its fourth Super Bowl against the rising Seahawks.             

The Seattle Seahawks, historically, have been a poor team. Before the 2003 season, the Seahawks only made the playoffs five times since becoming a franchise in 1976. They stormed to a NFC title in 2005 but fell to the Pittsburgh Steelers in Super Bowl XL. Seattle hired Pete Carroll in 2010 and entered the postseason four out of five seasons with him at head coach. In 2012, rookie Russell Wilson led his Seahawks to the divisional round of the playoffs and a NFL championship in 2013. 

Two teams with different paths, but both looking for another championship. The Patriots are nearing the end of their reign while the Seahawks are soaring to a new dynasty. 

The matchup of New England and Seattle is shaping up to be a great Super Bowl. Tom Brady will go down as one of the best quarterbacks, if not the best quarterback, in NFL history regardless of next Sunday’s outcome. He is a pure pocket passer with deadly accuracy. His receivers aren’t much to brag about, but the league's best tight end, Rob Gronkowski, will need to show up against Seattle’s number one defense. Richard Sherman is arguably the most dominant corner in the NFL, but he was injured against Green Bay. If Tom Brady can take advantage of the wounded Seahawk, this game could swing in New England’s favor. As for the Patriot’s defense, they will have their hands full. Marshawn Lynch holds the nickname “Beast Mode” for a reason. Russell Wilson had the worst game of his career against the Packers but overcame his struggles in overtime to send Seattle back to the title game. 

As the Seattle Seahawks hope to be the first repeat champions since their opponents did it in 2003 and 2004, the Patriots want to end their dynasty with a fourth Super Bowl. Two champions vying for another in 2014, the beginning of one era as another one ends. You will not want to miss this matchup of the ages.