Super Bowl XILX- Keys to the game and a Making a Prediction

14

Due to Wake’s poor play and lack of effort last week, I refuse to waste anymore time thinking or writing about the basketball team. Instead, I'll offer my prediction on NFL Super Bowl XLIX between the New England Patriots and the Seattle Seahawks.  

Though the Patriots are a 2 point favorite, I believe the Seahawks are the team to beat. Unbeknownst to most, the Seahawks have the most prolific run game in the NFL. The Seahawks led the league in total rush yards, yards per carry, and rushing touchdowns. With their “Legion of Boom” secondary and stout front 7, Seattle is clearly the better team.        

However, the Patriots have one of the best quarterbacks of all-time -- Tom Brady. Brady is making his 6th Super Bowl appearance with a legendary 3-2 record. Though Brady has played in 5 Super Bowls, he has not won one in over 10 years -- creating a sense of urgency in the Patriots organization as their seemingly everlasting window has began to close. 

The Patriots must establish a run game against Seattle’s stiff front 7, who on average allowed a mere 81.5 yards on the ground per game this season. With newly acquired power back LeGarrette Blount, The Patriots have certainly established themselves as a strong running force. Blount averaged 4.7 yards a carry this season and accumulated 148 yards and 3 touchdowns in the Patriot's most recent win against the Colts in the AFC Championship Game. 

In addition, New England Blount's strong running game is essential to open up easy play action completions. Easy play action completions will buy Brady some comfort in the pocket and confidence against Seattle’s intimidating secondary.  

Lastly, the most crucial component for the Patriots' success is capitalizing on touchdown opportunities in the red zone.  When the Patriots are successful in driving the ball against Seattle, they cannot settle for field goals and must convert in the red zone. In the NFC Championship, the Packers were unable to convert touchdowns several times inside Seattle’s 20, which allowed for Seattle’s historic comeback.              

I believe the Patriots will be locked in, determined to show the world they can win without “cheating” (or what most concluded with out facts to be cheating).  Blount will make some crucial big plays on the ground as the Patriots make a conscious effort to stay with the run.The Patriots' objective on defense will be to not allow any big plays to Doug Baldwin or Jermaine Kearse and force Russel Wilson to sustain 10+ play drives.  

In the end, the Patriots will stave off Wilson’s late heroics in the 4th for a 31-27 victory in Super Bowl XLIX.