Super Bowl Sunday Isn't The Same In College

It makes homesickness that much worse.

76
Readers Digest

On February 5, most of us will probably be tuning in to watch the Super Bowl. Some of us will be watching the event for the football, while some of us might only be watching for the commercials or halftime show. Regardless, the Super Bowl has become a popular American event, so much that it is often treated as a holiday. Watching the Super Bowl with family and friends is such a fun experience that it is an annual family event for many. Being in college, though, Super Bowl Sunday isn't what it used to be.

My family and I would always watch the big game together either at a family party or in the comfort of our own home. We have a rather large family, so when there were parties, there was always delicious food and snacks, an abundance of laughter at the commercials and in general, and usually being super disappointed in the half-time performances. Oh, and I can't forget the smack talk, arguing, and occasional betting. The Super Bowl was and will always be a family activity.

With that being said, being away from home makes the event much different for me. Like most college kids that I know, we have "early" Monday classes starting somewhere between 8:00 and 10:00, which means that even if you're within a good driving distance home, you probably can't make the drive back to school either late that night or early the next morning without being too exhausted. Or even worse, you have an exam scheduled for the following morning that you have to study for, making Super Bowl weekend a bust, anyway. For me, it truly isn't as fun watching it from hours away from home, even if I'm texting my parents about the game almost play by play.

Even if none of our teams are playing, it has always been a tradition to watch the game together. The beauty of it is that everyone participates and we all unite, no matter the age. Everyone celebrates in the end and the suspense and anticipation leading up to the outcome is beyond intense. There is something for everyone in the family to enjoy whether you watch and understand football or just watch it to watch it. Now, whenever I turn the game on, I find myself more homesick than normal throughout the semester.

I know that not every college student misses their family as much as I do while being away, but big events and traditions that I have to miss out on because of college make homesickness so much worse. The Super Bowl will never be the same for me while in school or while I'm away from home. It will always be associated with my family, even when I pass our traditions down to my own family someday.