Summertime Sisterhood

Summertime Sisterhood

4
Summertime Sisterhood

Although school is out for summer, I feel that I have spent just as much time with my sorority sisters as I would during the semester. Maybe it's simply location, because I have the advantage of living in Northern Virginia where many UVA students are from, but I believe that my continued relationship with my sisters into the summer is a testament to the strong bonds that were created within our sorority during the school year. 

In the first three weeks of summer vacation I have visited six sisters in Alexandria and Charlottesville, Va., Baltimore and New York. Whether it's going to a concert, out to dinner or just to hang out, the distance and summer have not stopped me from getting together with my sorority sisters.

Don't get me wrong. I love hanging out with my old friends from home. But, I keep finding myself hanging out with newer sorority friends, and I wonder why that is.

Just because school is put on pause, it doesn't mean that our sorority friendships are on hold  for the summer. We grew close at UVA, and if my hometown is close to one of my sisters, of course I would get together with her. I love hanging out with my sisters who live in my area to get a break from home and be with someone who goes to UVA and knows the ins and outs of my new life.

Instead of being friends with people based on location or high school classes, I became friends with a group of girls in my sorority who had similar interests, characters and academic ambitions. Our common loyalty to the sorority and each other made our bond different from the bond with my high school friends. 

Another perk of sisterhood extended into the summer is broadening your horizons through travel by visiting a sister in her hometown for a concert, or even abroad, and becoming even closer with your sorority sister outside of the school year. 

The feelings of my sisterhood bond which extended into the summer make me excited to be reunited with all my sisters this coming fall. It's amazing to know that after one short semester in a sorority, after my first year, the relationships I made in those few months transcend school and remain just as strong into the summer months.