With the end to a busy and long-winded semester and summer breezes stirring up ahead, there is no better time than now to get ready for summer sunshine. The long-awaited summer rays are almost finally here. Some of us are rigidly prepared while others want to make this summer a wild and unknown adventure. Whether you know ahead of time what your plans are for the summer or want to take it one day at a time, here are 10 fun ideas to kick off your summer of 2017:

1) Beach

Enjoy soaking up the sun, putting your toes in the sand, and being lulled by the waves. Grab your bikinis and swim trunks, wax your surfboards, and enjoy a piña colada! Just don’t forget to protect your skin (aloe vera and coconut oil help) and stay hydrated.

2) Film

It’s not only a good time to catch up on all those shows you have been waitlisting (*cough cough* Game of Thrones, Once Upon a Time, and Rick & Morty to name a few). More importantly, instead of just watching, create! Get inspired and start filming your own content. Make it something you would want to see. With the sun shining and beautiful weather outside, locations are easier than ever to find.

3) Learn a Language

“Je parle un peu de francais”. However, that is going to change this summer. I will be learning French with the help of Transparent Online and Duolingo and American Sign Language with the help of Rocket Language . Spend at least 5 minutes on any language of your choice everyday. Now is a great time to expand your world and increase your ability to communicate with millions more. Join a language exchange club and meet new people or start pen pals. The possibilities are endless. Not to mention, learning a language is a resume booster.

4) Learn an Instrument

Ah, music to my ears! There is no language more beautiful and universal than that of music. We all enjoy jamming and rocking out to our favorite beats. I encourage you to take it a step further and learn how to play your favorite songs. Whether it be the guitar , cello, drums, piano, or even the flute, your brain will thank you.

5) Join a Gym

Out with the dead of winter and in with the fresh breath of life that breathes bikini season, a dreaded season for most if we are still lugging around that winter blubber. So join a gym, bring your friends, and enjoy breaking a sweat doing some Vinyasa Yoga, Soul Cycle , Water Polo, or training for that 5k you’ve always dreamed of. You could even try your sexy out at a pole fitness class .

6) Start a Business

Being a college student is no easy financial feat. In fact, we have not even begun living well enough to earn an income so that we can truly afford college rather than in the form of loan debt. Now is the perfect time to bring in some new customers. Do you like arts & crafts? Make some and sell it on Etsy . Are you an avid action figure collector? Maybe you could start bidding them and cash in. Start by making your own website via wix.com, set up a profile on care.com, display your resumé on LinkedIn, and open your own financial exchange account via squareup.com . The sky is the limit. (Also: read "How To Win Friends and Influence People" by Dale Carnegie) If your goal is graduate school, do not hesitate to get some research experience under your belt this summer.

7) Travel

From France to California, Thailand to Norway, and Switzerland to Japan, the world is your oyster. You will probably never have as much of an opportunity as you have now to travel. Especially if you are in your 20's, now is the time to hit the road and explore the vast expanse as far as the horizon goes. Whether or not you have the funds, apply for scholarships , volunteer across seas, travel tours via Contiki , and explore your local neighborhood. You never know what magic you might discover.

8) Join Clubs

Summertime is the opportunity to expand your social horizons and make more friends. Maybe you need to find friends who are into the things you are into. Want friends to go jogging with? Join the New York Road Runners Club . Squad goals? Join a dance team. Meet Up is a great way to find more people you can vibe with.

9) Have Faith

From dust we came to dust we must go. Hope is healthy for the human. In prayer, we seek solace and peace. There is no point in life except to find one. Religion , spirituality , and philosophy all play a major role in shaping who we were, who we are, and who we are becoming. Refresh yourself with your morals and values and see where your life aligns with those visions. Where your life falls short, make an effort to build upon it and stay strong. Always remember you are not alone. Find your zen here or here .

10) Reconnect

You have probably neglected your friends and family for a whole semester as you feverishly tried to cram all your papers, midterms, and finals. Now, you can finally crawl out of the cave you have been stuck in, buried alive under papers, and smell the fresh air and feel the warmth of the summer sun. Call up your friends, visit your family, and rekindle your friendships over campfires and mojitos. Your future self will thank you later for reaching back out before you have to return to school again in the Fall. Trust me, everyone will be happy to hear from you again. (Hey guys, call me ^_^ )

Extra: Check off your Bucket List

With this new freedom comes a chance to check off some life goals. Sometimes in life, Kodak moments are purely candid. Take the moment, if you can, to complete your list just a little more each time. This summer I want to dye my hair pink, paint in glitter, get kissed under the moonlight á la plage, run a 5k, give a Ted Talk , and swim 50 meters in under 45 seconds. Most importantly, I will write a message-in-a-bottle to all those who lost their lives to suicide over the Golden Gate Bridge and toss it over.

What is one thing you want to do before you die?

P.S. This summer, I want to be a Mermaid :)