Top 8 Resorts for Summer Events in Colorado

These eight Colorado mountain towns will be bubbling with excitement this summer.

280
Veronica Baas

Colorado's mountain resorts can be just as fun to visit in the summer as they are during the winter. With perfect weather and a plethora of adventurous activities and events, there will be no shortage of entertainment this summer at Colorado's best event resorts.

Usually, Colorado summers are filled with outdoor activities like camping, rafting, ziplining, thrilling attractions, off-roading, hiking, biking, and so on. But what really makes a Colorado resort stand out in the summer is the free concerts and festivals like river fests, hot air balloon fests, food fests, wine fests, and beer fests.

Summer resorts also feature car shows, outdoor movies, rodeos and other family-friendly and date night friendly entertainment. These eight Colorado mountain towns will be bubbling with excitement this summer.

1. Copper Mountain

Copper Mountain is conveniently located about 90 minutes from Denver in Summit County. Visitors to its village during the summer can ride the longest Rocky Mountain Coaster in America, play golf, ride the boats on Copper’s West Lake, play mini golf, ride go-karts and scale the climbing wall.

The summer really starts on the June 22-24 weekend when the Attack of the Big Beers takes place in Center Village and features brewers competing for the Brewzilla Cup. There’s also free music at this event and most all of Copper’s events.

Other signature summer events at Copper Mountain include The Colorado Cider and Beer Festival, The Copper Mountain Music Festival, the Mac, and Cheese Fest, Guitar Town featuring the best guitarists in the world performing and hosting clinics, the Copper Crush Wine Fest, the Genuine Jazz, and Wine Festival and Copper Country.

Summer sporting events anyone can register to participate in include the Fjall Raven Classic Trek, the Under-Armor Trail Run and Triple by Pass, the Children’s Hospital Courage Classic bike race, the Copper Triangle Bike Ride, and the popular the Ragnar Relay.

Read event details and more about visiting Copper here.

2. Winter Park

Winter Park kicks the summer festival season off the weekend of June 23 with the Blues from the Top Festival featuring headliners the Kenny Wayne Shepherd Band and North Mississippi Allstars at the new and improved Hideaway Park in Downtown Winter Park. The Hideaway Park stays busy the rest of the summer offering up free concerts every Thursday.

In July, you can experience the Tequila & Taco Festival, The Winter Park Alpine Art Affair or the Winter Park Jazz Festival.

The Winter Park Beer Festival takes place in August and there’s more. The Winter Park Ski Resort doesn’t sit idle during the summer either. The Trestle Bike Park has numerous mountain bike exhibitions and competitions.

The Winter Park Resort Village kicks off its summer events with the Chocolate Festival on June 16. That one’s followed by The Uncorked Wine, Art and Cheese Festival in July and the Whiskey and Wings festival in September. Two world-class rodeos take place right outside of Winter Park.

The Flying Heels Rodeo takes place in Granby on Saturdays in June and The High-Country Rodeo takes place in Fraser on Saturdays in July and August.

3. Snowmass

The Snowmass concert stage looks good no matter who’s performing on it. Set up at the base of the Snowmass ski hill, the Roaring Fork Valley provides a jaw-dropping backdrop. The stage at Snowmass hosts free Thursday concerts and the famous Jazz Aspen Snowmass Labor Day Experience.

Every Wednesday there are rodeos at the Snowmass Rodeo Grounds. Other top summer events at Snowmass include The Tough Mudder Competition, the Snowmass Balloon Festival, The New Belgium Ranger Station 5K - Run for Beer and the Craft Beer Rendezvous. This year’s headliners at the Jazz Aspen Snowmass Labor Day Experience include Zac Brown Band, Lionel Richie, Fitz and the Tantrums, Michael Franti, and more.

Check out the full Snowmass events calendar for details.

4. Steamboat

Steamboat’s Keepin’ it Free Summer Concert Series at Howelsen Hill features a nice line up of headliners on selected weekend nights. This year, Keller Williams and the HillBender’s Pettygrass perform their tribute to Tom Petty.

Other headliners playing for free at Howelsen Hill this summer include JJ Grey & Mofro, Stephen Marley, and the Kyle Hollingsworth Band.

Steamboat signature summer events include The Friday and Saturday Pro Rodeo that starts in June and goes into August, the Yampa River Festival, Cowboy Roundup Days, the Hot Air Balloon Rodeo, The String Music Festival, the Wild West Air Fest, and more.

See details on the full Steamboat schedule.

5. Alamosa

There’s nowhere else in Colorado that offers a train ride to a concert venue. Fir Amphitheatre, one of USA Today’s 10 Best Concert Venues you shouldn’t miss, is that venue.

Mountain Rails Live is an adventure event set up to entertain the whole family with lunch included. Alamosa is close to the Great Sand Dunes National Park which holds events for the curious adventurer.

Other signature summer events in Alamosa include Summer Fest on the Rio, the Hot Rod Dirt Drags, the Rollin Deep Car Show, the Alamosa Round-Up Rodeo and Beat the Heat BBQ, Brew and Chili Festival.

There’s even more and you can read about them here.

6. Telluride

Telluride’s summer is most famous for the Telluride Bluegrass Festival which will celebrate its 45th festival this year. The success of that music festival has sprouted off several other summer festivals over the years including the Ride Festival, The Telluride Jazz Festival, The Telluride Americana Music Festival and the Telluride Blues and Brews Festival. All feature major headliners in the incredible setting of Telluride’s town park.

Telluride’s not easy to get to, but worth the trip. Other signature summer events at Telluride this year: The Telluride Mushroom Festival, The Telluride 100 Bike Race, The Telluride Wine Festival and the Chamber Music Festival.

Check out some other cool events going on in Telluride.

7. Estes Park

It only makes sense that one of Colorado’s most popular summer destinations also hosts incredible summer events. Free concerts at Performance Park Amphitheatre in downtown happen on random dates throughout the summer.

There are also outdoor markets for arts and crafts, the Thursday Farmers Market, a jazz festival, the Rooftop Rodeo (complete with parade), The Estes Park Comic Con, The Friends of Folk Festival, a couple car shows and several forest service events at the nation’s most popular National Park, Rocky Mountain National Park.

For more, see a full list of summer events in Estes Park.

8. Keystone

Keystone Resort in Summit County earned a spot on this list thanks to the 8th annual Bacon and Bourbon festival. The bacon also lures in visitors to kick off Keystone’s Summer festival season. The Bacon Fest features multiple ways to eat bacon and you can combine that tasty pork with a tasty bourbon then swish it all around as you rock out to Led Zeppelin and Helles Belles.

Other festivals taking place at Keystone Village over the summer include The Keystone Wine and Jazz Festival, the Art Festival, the Bluegrass and Beer Festival, the Mountain Town Music Festival and keystone’s Octoberfest.

Best part? They’re all free.

Find a full list of Colorado communities and their events.