11 Books On My Reading List This Summer

11 Books On My Reading List This Summer

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one." ~ George R.R. Martin

36
Personal

I absolutely love to read. When I was younger, you would never find me without a book in my hands even if I only had a few minutes to crack it open. Anytime we got into a car, during the previews before movies started, at lunch when I should've been eating, a book would be open in my lap as I devoured every sentence, yearning for more. Once I started high school, it became harder to find time to read because of classes and extracirricular activities. I haven't had much time to read during college either but my goal for the summer is to always have a book in my hands, starting with these.

"Lord of the Flies" by William Golding

I didn't have to read this for high school but I've heard a lot about it so I figured I should take the plunge.

"Along Came a Spider" by James Patterson

Growing up, my mom had a bookshelf full of books by James Patterson. "Along Came a Spider" is the first book of the Alex Cross series which I eventually want to start and finish.

"The Hate U Give" by Angie Thomas

A popular book right now, I might as well jump on the bandwagon.

"The Psychopath Whisperer" by Kent Kiehl

While in college, I have taken classes about criminal behavior and psychopaths. It's safe to say, I am fascinated and want to learn more.

"How to Make Friends With the Dark" by Kathleen Glasgow

This book speaks to me as it follows the struggles of a boy who loses his mother.

"The Subtle Art of Not Giving A F*ck" by Mark Manson

Sometimes I care too much about pointless things that I can't change. This book is designed to help let go of all the useless things that happen and focus on the things that matter.

"Fahrenheit 451" by Ray Bradbury

Like "The Giver" and "1984", "Fahrenheit 451" presents a dystopian society different from our own. These books are always interesting to read because they show a different perspective of the world.

"Seven Ways We Lie" By Riley Redgate

I've always wanted to read about the seven deadly sins and this book seems interesting because the characters identify with the sins.

"A Storm of Swords" by George R. R. Martin

I am caught up on all things "Game of Thrones", except the books. I know how different books can be from shows and I'm excited to see just how much they diverge.

"Impulse" by Ellen Hopkins

Ellen Hopkins writes stories through poems and each stanza is just as, or even more powerful than the paragraph it could be replaced with. I started reading Ellen Hopkins over the summer and I can't wait to continue.

"Different Seasons" by Stephen King

After seeing "Pet Semetary" and "It", I wanted to read their book equivalents or any book by Stephen King. I chose "Different Seasons" because it contains four novellas that depict horror in a sense that is different from what Stephen King is known.