There's No Time For Summer Fun When You're Working Full-Time

Don't mind me, I'm just over here making money.

87

Let me start by saying that I'm not actually full-time, I just work up to 40 hours each week at my part-time job.

During the school year, I am part-time and only work weekends because I have a job at school and I am taking a full course load, but during the summer, I pick up more hours and open up my schedule, because why stay home and sleep all day when I could be making money?

Don't get me wrong, I love my job and I love going to work every day because I get to not only catch up with my coworkers who I hardly saw during the school year, but it also gives me a chance to make some extra cash, which will come in handy for all these summer concerts and road-trips I have planned.

Sometimes, it is hard to plan things in advance with all of my friends having different schedules, and sometimes it's even harder to plan things when you have to put in a request off for a day because of the anticipation of waiting for it to be approved.

Some of my shifts are early and some of them are mid-shifts, it just depends on my schedule for that day. But, something that I low-key think my friends find annoying is me being the first one to leave early because I have to be at work at 7 or 8 the next day.

I'm always the friend that says "let me see when I get off," "let me see when I'm off," or "can we do (insert activity here) on Friday instead? I'm off that day," because my schedule is not always the same, and that is one of the biggest conflicts when it comes to making plans.

Fortunately, my friends are mature and have jobs of their own, so they kind of understand, but sometimes it's hard because they have a set schedule and I don't, but we always seem to be able to make things work. It just takes careful planning on both ends.

It can get overwhelming when you see you're scheduled 5 or 6 days in a row and sometimes you'll be so exhausted that you'll want to cry at everything, but seeing how big that paycheck is on payday will always be worth it.

"Work hard, play harder," is a quote that I try to live by, as I realize that my part-time job will help open opportunities for me in the future. It gives me skills that I'll need in my career field, and who knows, it may allow me to get another job within the company that is full-time, but until I get my degree, I'll keep my options open and keep looking.

To all those teens and young adults out there that feel as if they're not getting a summer because they're working too much, I feel you and I 100 percent understand, but remember that paycheck and that well-deserved day off and much needed time with your friends will always be worth it!