College Students Have So Many Open Doors This Summer, You Don't Have To Worry Just Yet

Responsibility is knocking, will you answer?

31
Grace Vazquez

As this semester comes to an end, people’s minds are starting to drift to thoughts of sun, fun, and friends. I am also a culprit of this thought process, but who could blame me? Summer is by far the best part of the year; it is a time to recharge and work to become your best self again.

Although this is arguably the best break a college student could go on, there’s one thought that stresses each adolescent to the max. Should they get a job in their free time?

I have thought this question over very carefully, and no matter what I do I can’t escape it. It’s the question of whether to accept responsibility or cling onto the last few years of childish irresponsibility while it lasts. Even if one chooses the responsible route, they must then choose between a regular job, a paid or unpaid internship, or even an odd job like nannying or mowing yards.

I have explored all of these ideas this summer, but have come up empty-handed. That being said, the point of this article is not to tell you the correct way to “summer” (spoiler alert: there is no right way), but rather my struggles up to this point.

Freshman year has taught me to appreciate the easiness of my high school years, my old job included. I thought that being a college student meant I would be qualified for easier, better-paying jobs. However, that is not necessarily the case. That could potentially happen if you are in the right place at the right time, but as a freshman, the stipulations haven’t changed much from that of a senior in high school.

Internships are mostly awarded to upperclassman, while “good” jobs fill up quickly. This has caused me to rethink all of my previous assumptions towards summer work, and truly appreciate the jobs I once worked in.

It is important to network and meet new people in your industry, but don't forget the people who got you into college in the first place.

They will also be there for you to lean on and may have ideas about how you should spend your summer. Don't forget to stay in touch with these people, and periodically thank them for staying in touch and helping you up to this point.

In conclusion, I encourage students not to stress too much over this decision. Opportunities will come and go, just work hard and you’ll find one that fits perfectly into your situation.

Summer is three and a half months long, meaning you don’t have to worry just yet. When it’s time, you’ll fit into a position you love.