The Real Fun in the Sun: Golfing in the Summer

My tradition of golfing in the summertime

125
https://www.pexels.com/photo/grass-green-golf-golf-ball-54123/

Ladies and gentlemen and boys and girls: welcome to my world. I am your host, Bipul Mainali, and once a week I will give you the inside scoop of my life and the thoughts in my head!

As the temperature starts rising to new levels and going outside can become unbearable in the suburban areas of Huntsville, Alabama, it can only mean one thing, summertime is upon us in the South. As the drumming of mosquitos and sweat bees serenades my ears, I smile for the amazing summer to come. Summertime for me is filled with rejoicing with friends and family on the daily basis. A favorite pastime that I indulge in the summer has to be the glorious sport that is golf.

The idea of driving around free on the golf cart with the wind blowing through my hair is an exhilarating feeling. The sights of the sunset lights laying incandescent throughout the lakes and ponds on the Par-3 short course on the Robert Trent Jones Golf Course in Hampton Cove is a beautiful scene befitting of being on my Snapchat story. There are no worries on the course, no stress weighing down on my shoulders. The thoughts of school and work dissipate from my mind, leaving only the thought of what club I should use to hit the ball or what the yardage of the next hole might be.

Golf in the summertime has truly become a tradition with my friends. As we usually arrive on the course (me arriving 10-15 minutes late as per usual), we immediately purchase a bucket of approximately 30-40 classic Nike Strata range balls. The course maintains a strict policy of not using range balls but my friend Kevin feels that using range balls on the course is a necessity as 70% of his balls ends up in the water. Every hole is filled with laughs, insults, and a talk of betting more money on who will win the game.

This experience of stepping out onto the course is a humbling one—the sport itself is humbling in that every time I feel that I have perfected my swing and think my next shot will be a phenomenal one, it comes and bites me in the ass. This really translates to my personal experiences throughout my life because it echoes the fact that I will only get better at what I do through slow and steady practice. On a more superficial note, this experience makes me thankful for the beautiful weather, great friends and the lovely city that I live in. I hope that everyone has a chance to step out on the golf course and has a similar experience that I have had.