Get Outside With These 8 Summer Exercise Apps

Tap Into Your Athletic Side With These 8 Summer Exercise Apps

Want to get out in the summer sun? Use these eight apps to guide your adventures.

24

Summer has finally arrived! Thanks to perks like the warmer weather and breaks from your college schedule, there are plenty of opportunities to take part in summer sports and other kinds of athletic activities.

Whether you're a seasoned athlete or someone who's just started becoming more active, these eight apps will help you get in touch with your athletic abilities while celebrating the start of summer.

1. Jogabo

Jogabo is an app for soccer players that makes it easy to track game stats and meet new people while enjoying the sport. You can tweak your settings in the app to set goals, keep tabs on trends and have a record of every fellow soccer enthusiast you share the field with this summer and beyond.

There's a social aspect of Jogabo that allows you to see the soccer players your friends have played matches against in the past and then connect with them to plan games. You can also help people you know stay abreast of your progress by using the social sharing feature. It allows you to send pictures from your matches to social media and tag the images with your game stats.

2. TennisBros

Although you can play tennis alone by hitting the ball against a backboard, that approach is not nearly as fun as playing with others. And the summer weather makes it even more fun to explore the courts nearest you. Use the TennisBros app to find people in your area who want to play tennis and have a skill level similar to yours.

Or, if you find yourself free in a few days and would love to use the spare time to play tennis in a different place with someone new, post your availability through the app to make others aware that you want to schedule a game soon.

You can use the app to directly message potential tennis-playing partners or the people you've had matches with before. The app's messaging interface makes it easy to communicate because it keeps all the messages in one place for straightforward access.

If you don't have many or any people in your existing circle of friends who play tennis, there's no need to worry. TennisBros gives you an option to browse through a listing of players who need more people to join them. Each upcoming match entry mentions the location of the game and the number of players required. This feature works well if you're not yet familiar with the nearby places that offer places to practice your tennis skills.

3. Chimani

One of the best ways to get active this summer is to check out a national park. These destinations have activities galore, whether you want to paddle a canoe, try your hand at fishing or go on a nature walk. Think of the Chimani app as your comprehensive national park resource for your options in the U.S. It also has information about some of the national parks in Canada and the United Kingdom.

Chimani lists all 419 national parks in the United States, plus has detailed guides for more than 60 places. If you're looking forward to checking out a national park that you haven't been to before and don't know where to begin, get started by browsing the curated content contributed by local experts. If you're on a road trip, try using the custom maps feature that shows all the smaller parks along your route that you might not otherwise have known existed.

Get informed by using the topographic maps that show the terrain and the park's facilities and available activities. It's also possible to download some of the maps so you can navigate through the area without using your cellular data plan.

4. Surfline

Surfing enthusiasts assert that the Beach Boys had it right when they sang upbeat lyrics about catching great waves and enjoying the sunshine. Regardless of your surfing prowess, the Surfline app can help you feel more confident about finding places to surf. Tune into more than 450 surf cams to see the ocean conditions at a spot you want to check out. Then, it's easier to assess whether the current wave characteristics suit your abilities.

Create a list of your favorite places to surf, then get expert forecasts about those places before heading to the beach. Also, take footage of your surfing excursions via the app and share it with others.

5. AllTrails

The AllTrails app lives up to its name by giving you data about more than 75,000 trails to explore. Moreover, it's easy to filter the results and find trails that are the best for embarking on with kids or pets. Or, look through the choices after giving specifics about your desired difficulty level and length.

Whether you're ready for a summer trail run, a mountain biking journey or a gentle hike, AllTrails provides the details you need to make planning a breeze. It's also helpful that the AllTrails app has a community of 10 million users, many of whom take the time to give feedback on the trails they travel or post pictures of them.

There's a feature that gives driving directions to a trail in just one tap, as well. Then, you should spend less time trying to find your way, which provides you with more time to enjoy your chosen trail.

6. EQUiTrail

Although you can certainly enjoy trails by yourself or with human companions, the summer is also an excellent time to discover the great outdoors while riding a horse. You'll naturally stretch your muscles and engage your core while riding and you'll have a different perspective on horseback than you would while doing an activity that puts you closer to the ground.

Download the EQUiTrail app to get details about places to go trail riding in your area and save information about the places you like most. The app tracks your location in the background as you ride, making it easy to see how far you've traveled, the average speed and the routes taken. It's also possible to interact with the maps to designate things like streams, uneven terrain or cross-country jumps you want to try with your trusty steed.

7. Mountain Project

If you're excited about taking part in mountain climbing this summer, add Mountain Project to your phone first. This handy app finds outdoor climbing areas near you and enables sorting the routes by difficulty level. Depend on the map feature to guide you to the starting point.

You can also make a to-do list of climbs you want to attempt and store information about your training and successful outcomes. And because the most outstanding climbing spots often don't have good mobile reception, be sure to take advantage of the app feature that lets you download maps and routes for offline access.

8. Paddle Ready

No matter if you like kayaking, stand-up paddleboarding or rafting down a river, Paddle Ready is your go-to app for all kinds of paddlesports. It gives you surf and tide forecasts, plus allows you to make float plans that describe the path you'll take and the expected duration of the trip.

The app also makes it simple to search for an instructor or course to help you perfect your paddling skills. The gear checklists reduce the chance of forgetting something at home — which could be particularly inconvenient or even hazardous depending on what you don't bring and how long you're gone. Look at the app's paddle safety checklists, too. You can find different content for various kinds of paddling environments.

Ramp Up Your Activity This Summer

This list of apps should give you plenty of inspiration for staying on the move all summer. Use them to discover new areas that support your active lifestyle or even get the information you need to start playing a new sport to fill some of the empty spaces in your summertime schedule.