What to do the summer before college
Summer

7 Things You Should Do The Summer Before College, Beside Your To-Do List

Make your last summer memorable.

94
Anna Catherine Solomonik

Along with picking out dorm essentials and shopping for school supplies, it's important to spend the summer before college making memories in the days you have left in your hometown. Most likely, every summer after this will be filled with summer classes, internships, and responsibilities of the like, so here are a few ways to make the most of the weeks leading up to college, while preparing yourself for one of the biggest changes you'll face in your teen years.

Spend time with your friends.

unsplash.com

This one's a given. Unless you're super lucky, your high school friends are probably all going to different colleges than you. Spend time with the ones you wont see much of in the fall while making the most of being stuck in your hometown for one last summer. Go to the drive in, your favorite restaurant, the closest amusement park, etc. Do all the fun local things you've probably done thousands of times, because chances are, you'll miss them when you're away.

Shop for your dorm/apartment.

unsplash.com

You're finally going to be living on your own, so use this freedom to your advantage. Take the time to find your style and shop for it accordingly. Check out dormify.com and dorm-decor.com for already styles looks, or check out your class' facebook page for sophomores selling pre-loved dorm furniture.

Research your classes and professors.

unsplash.com

This may not be the most fun thing in the world to do over the summer, but it's extremely beneficial to know a little bit about your fall classes before syllabus week. Read online class reviews to get a sense of your professors' teaching styles and how to succeed in their classes.

Travel near or far.

unsplash.com

Many people travel to other countries the summer before college, but if this isn't in your budget, visit local places. A few examples would be the zoo, a state park, your aunt's house in the state over, etc. I'll bet there are tons of beautiful places in your state you can travel to for free or cheap.

Shop for recruitment (if applicable).

unsplash.com

It took me weeks to find the perfect dress for the first day of Ice Water Teas, so get started on this one early to avoid stressing about it when you need to avert your attention to more important things.

Find out which organizations you want to get involved in.

unsplash.com

Don't make the mistake of not getting involved your first semester. Organizations are the perfect way to make friends in the first few weeks of school, and a good way to spend your free time instead of watching netflix in your dorm. Get involved in organizations that apply to your major (making connections is key), or ones that seem the most fun to you. Volunteer work and community service are great resume boosters, so thats another advantage.

Do something you've always wanted to do.

unsplash.com

For me, this was sneaking out of the house (sorry mom and dad). For you, this could be trying the weirdest flavor of shaved ice or going night swimming in the lake. Your freshman year will be filled with lots of "firsts," so this way, you can get a head start.

It's easy to get caught up in the stress of it all, so make sure to have fun and relax this summer!