Dear Summer Before College, Please Don't Ever End

I Love Summer, But This Summer Before Starting College Is Different

Here's a look into what I, as a girl who is going to be a freshman in college, am thinking about the summer before college.

166
girls at high school graduation
Grace Donovan

Summer has to be my absolute favorite time of the year. Endless amounts of sunshine, late nights, concerts, beach days, my birthday, and ultimately, time. However, this summer being the summer before college seems like there isn't an endless amount of time left. With August approaching and move-in dates for my best friends and me, it seems as if the blues are approaching and summer vibes leaving. The end of summer seemed like an eternity away during senior year, but now that it is mid-July that's all I tend to think about lately.

One of the hardest parts about this transition, at least for me, is that I want to make plans and have fun, but of course, at the end of the night, the mood turns somber. I really don't know how I am going to be able to say goodbye to such influential people in my life, and I also know that I am saying goodbye to both the people I know of and myself. People change whether they want to admit it or not, and my friends and I will never be the same people as we are right now in this moment and that is kind of sad.

I know that I will keep in touch with my favorite people, but it will definitely be harder hearing about stories and memories rather than telling them. I also can't think about the fact that there will be people that get to be friends with my besties. Okay, that might sound a little crazy, but I love these people so much that I know the ones who get to be friends with them are so lucky and they don't even know it yet.

Now I get this is completely normal to feel this way when a big change occurs, but I absolutely hate it. And it's not just me. It seems as if everyone my age is feeling the same as me but none of us know what to do.

So for now, I say make as many memories as possible and cherish them at the moment. Make sure you don't take your people for granted during this time, or ever but especially now — because you will need them now more than ever.

You know who you are, I love you forever.