Thousands Of People Commit Suicide Each Year, Right In Front Of Us

What is stopping us from seeing the signs and offering help to those who struggle?

82

On Sunday, October 1, over 6,000 people amassed on the steps of the Philadelphia Museum of Art. They gathered to support a cause deep to many of their hearts. It is a cause they believe to be given attention. That cause is the prevention of a suicide.

According to the CDC, suicide is the tenth leading cause of death in the United States.

Among ages 15 to 25, suicide rises the second leading cause of death.

And among 10 to 14, suicide is third.

Before the 5-kilometer walk began, those who walked in teams stood on stage and told the story of those they have lost to suicide. Speaker after speaker told stories of sons, daughters, parents, and friends. A theme ran through each of their testimonials. They all wished there had been a way for them to prevent what had happened. They felt they had failed their loved ones.

Promptly at 8:30 a.m., the walk began.

We made our way down the Schuylkill River Trail to Fairmount Park. While walking, I couldn't help but think about the personal stories that were told back at the stage. I had not known the people talked about, but I felt I had known them. I had known them through my experience. I myself have had a personal struggle with suicidal thoughts; but more importantly, I have known many people that have attempted suicide and some that have taken their own lives.

I began to ponder how these people could have been driven so far to the edge. How had we missed the signs? There are signs leading up to a suicide. This walk, of course, took place less than 24 hours before a mentally ill man took the lives of 58 men and woman at a country music concert in Las Vegas. There were definite signs in the shooter's personal and psychological history.

So why did no one see? Maybe people in those individuals lives did see signs. But then the question is, why did they turn the other cheek?

I am not criticizing these people. I just wish to know what went wrong in order to prevent such tragedies from occurring again.

As I made the walk back from Fairmount Park to the PMA, I finally took notice of the shire number of those present at the walk. All of these individuals have been affected by suicide and mental illness in some way, whether they themselves or loved ones have struggled.

Over the next year, I am going to attempt to find out what is going wrong. I want to learn about people's personal stories, to research the deep psychology of these events, and to attempt to discover treatments in order to bring down the national suicide rate. Maybe one day, we can probably say the number of suicides each year is 0. Until then, as I said last week, we must continue to fight and not give up.