Suicide is not a joke

It's Time To Stop Making Suicide Jokes Because Losing Someone Really Sucks

Some things just aren't meant to be laughed at

919

Our generation likes to joke about death. The joke can be as simple as saying "I want to die lol" and can go as far as actually pretending to do it to get attention. Suicide should never be joked about, yet today we call it a coping mechanism. There are so many other ways to cope with depression and suicidal thoughts, but instead, we choose to make fun of it. Well, it's time to stop, because, if you've ever lost someone you love and care about, you'll understand that it's no laughing matter.

A few months ago, I lost my mom. She died from natural causes. Although she did not kill herself, it was still traumatic. This has by far been the worst thing to happen to my and my family, and I would give anything to be able to turn back time and do everything I can to stop her from dying.

Anyone who has lost someone close to them, whether it's a family member or close friend, feels a similar way. Whether you actually feel suicidal or are just pretending, those around you may take your words to heart. Death is a subject taken very seriously, and that should not be changed. Saying anything about wanting to kill yourself, joke or not is very harmful to yourself and others because sometimes it's hard to tell if you're serious or not.

As someone who has recently lost someone important, it makes me angry to hear people glamorizing death. These people clearly don't know the pain and trauma a person goes through when a loved one of theirs dies. Dark humor is not really humor; not to mention there are many other ways to cope with suicidal thoughts that don't harm those around you.

With that being said, if you really are struggling with these thoughts, you are not alone. There are a lot of helpful resources out there. For example, the national suicide hotline, 1-800-273-8255, or online resources, such as the Suicide Prevention Resource Center. If you are not struggling, please be careful about what you say to others. You never know how your words may affect them.