does the suicide hotline work
Health Wellness

Rather Than Posting A Suicide Hotline Number, Let Your Friends And Family Know You're Always There To Support Them

If you truly care about this person and have gotten to known them deeply, the best way to cheer up a friend is to bring back memories of happier times.

63
suicidal man

Okay, okay. Before you say anything, please hear me out.

I seriously do not think simply posting a suicide hotline number is enough and here's why. There are millions of people who commit suicide every day and many of those people are college-aged. Depression, the leading cause of suicide, has a lot to do with this unfortunate fact.

When you're depressed, it's hard to go out and talk to people. All you want to do is lay in bed and just crawl up into a ball. You just want the day to be over because, in your view, each day is worthless. This cycle of anti-social behavior triggers the first stages of suicide. You think it would be better to put an end to your suffering rather than live to see each day with a frown on your face. Suicide is a big word and there are a lot of things associated with it. Are you ready to take such a big step? You start to second guess yourself and you look to the internet for help. You notice the suicide hotline number and you think well if I didn't want to talk to anyone near me in the first place, why would I talk to a stranger? Now there's the problem.

Society thinks that simply putting up the suicide hotline number on their Instagram Story or posting it on Facebook will suddenly stop every single person from committing suicide.

Here's a scenario that you might relate to: You know your friend has been acting up and completely isolated herself. She's not answering your calls or responding to any text messages. She skips all the big parties and events that she would have definitely attended. You start to think something is up. She's not her usual self. You suspect that the recent passing of her family member and the news that she could almost get kicked out of the honors program might have something to do with the way she is acting. What do you do? You've never been in a situation like this before. How do you deal with a person struggling with depression?

Now I'm no psychologist, but here's my advice to you. If you truly care about this person and have gotten to known them deeply, the best way to cheer up a friend is to bring back memories of happier times. Send her pictures in the mail of the camping trip you both took five years ago along with a card saying that you care. How about sending her her favorite flowers and chocolates? Surprise her with the spa day she used to beg for or even sending her a funny cat video. There's an old quote that laughter is the best medicine. Try to bring back a smile on her face in the best way possible. Happy memories always bring a smile on anyone's face so try to remind your friend of the happier days before depression kicked in. Doing little things like this show her that you care and you're there for her.

Posting a suicide hotline number is not enough. There needs to be caring action taken as well. If you feel your friend or family member has been feeling down or you notice signs of isolation, just remind her of happier days and that you're there to hold their hand through the obstacle called depression. Let's lower the number of people ending their life and choose to help those around us through acts of kindness. You may be a blessing in disguise.