The Truth About Suicide

The Things I've Learned About Suicide And The Miscommunication There Is

The effects suicide has on the person trying to commit suicide and those left behind through the song "Why."

388
pexels

"Why" by the Rascal Flatts was released in 2009 on the 'Unstoppable' album with Rob Mathes and Allen Shamblin being the writers of the piece. The song as a whole touches on suicide and their emotions as their lives went on, while some they knew had not. Suicide alone is no easy thing; especially if you're the one left behind. The pain of being left behind is truly unfathomable; but yet life still seems to move on.

Why is a question we perceive there is always an answer to; when in reality true definite answers mostly do not exist. Let me ask you a question; have you ever lost someone due to suicide?.... Have you ever thought of committing suicide yourself? With these questions in your mind, do you know exactly why you either lost someone or contemplated suicide? .... So what is why? Why is defined as: 'for what reason or purpose'. Now, why is a simple word right? While reading this article I want you to think about the why.

Being the friend and/or family member of someone who committed suicide is never an easy burden to carry, and you may tell yourself they were selfish for leaving everyone behind and or felt anger because you couldn't ask them one simple thing; why? That is the question everyone wishes they could ask their friend, Mother, sibling, Father and/or any other family member that had used suicide as a way out of this life; but many fall short of truly knowing why the person decided that it was their last hope. The emotional distress and turmoil you may feel are things most of us who lost someone due to suicide share; as expressed throughout the entirety of the song.

But, let's take a step back for a minute and look at the beginning of the song. The song starts off with, "You must have been in a place so dark you couldn't feel the light, reaching for you through that stormy cloud. Now here we are gathered in our little hometown. This can't be the way, you meant to draw a crowd". A lot of times, we don't realize how much someone is really going through until it's too late; then we ask ourselves how'd we not see the signs. We, in society, are ever moving; in a constant flow but, we rarely take the time to stop for a minute, and look around us and truly see whats lying just under the surface around us. At times, we as humans tend to put the blame on ourselves; asking ourselves "was there anything I could've said or done"... "I had no clue you were masking a troubled soul".

Personally, I've watched someone I loved take their life on one day that was supposed to be a family day, and as my sister told me that morning that my aunt had killed herself; my mind froze, no words could explain nor express the heart-wrenching pain I felt all at once. I ran the question why at least 50 different times through my head; as if I was going to solve why she decided to take her own life. Nothing equates to the thought of someone being there and the next they are not, because they decided to take their life was the last option.

Being the one left behind leaves an emptiness within you that never truly feels full again.

In the other aspect, if you have ever attempted suicide yourself, you know what it's like to feel so low in life; it almost doesn't seem worth living. For those of you that don't know that feeling, it's as if one bad thing in your life happens one after another; but instead of life moving on, your past stays with you no matter where you go or do. You still carry the pain with you, whether it is bullying, family issues, self-consciousnesses, or even just your living situations. Ultimately, you hit what you feel is rock bottom and you can not see the light out of your own pain; your thoughts race and you want the pain to end. That's when suicide seems like the only viable option for you.

Life no matter what point it is at right now is worth living. I have been at rock bottom, I know what it's like to want it all to end. But at the end of the day, it made me into the person I am today. So if your feeling like life is not worth the fight, think of the love your family has for you, look at the good times you shared with your friends or shared a laugh with a stranger. Even at your darkest hour, your light is able to shine. Life is a beautiful thing and sometimes it can be blocked by your own thoughts/past.

IF YOU OR SOMEONE YOU KNOW ARE STRUGGLING WITH SUICIDAL THOUGHTS AND/OR TENDENCIES, REACH OUT IMMEDIATELY. NO ONE SHOULD GO THROUGH THIS ALONE. SUICIDE IS SERIOUS.

National Suicide Hotline: 1 (800) 273-8255 - available 24/7