What The U.S. Needs Is A Sudden Good Break Of Solidarity

When considering Charlottesville, Hurricane Harvey and all other horrific tragedies ask yourself if your measurement of love is full enough to fuel the change you wish to witness?

21
What The U.S. Needs  Is A Sudden Good Break Of Solidarity

In terms of our social and political climate I know that there is A LOT, and I mean A LOT to sift through. As I know many of us were still attempting to gather our faculties after Charlottesville, here comes Hurricane Harvey. I know for myself, it has felt like I’ve been living in some awkward and horrific dream… all at the same time!

I say awkward because the things that I thought I knew about this world, and country especially are all coming to shreds and as much as I’d love to credit such to ‘growing up’ I must say that 75% of it is simply the times in which we are living in.

In August alone there’s has been a lot and still is A LOT to feel through. I mean so much so that my mind is not capable to comprehend, nor articulate what is occurring (and I pride myself on articulating myself very well… but this world has OUTDONE me once again).

I say horrific because who willingly wants to live in these conditions...who even knows how to live in these conditions? The blatant racism that is emerging is not new AT ALL, the foundations of this country and society as a whole has been built and sustained off the oppression of others, however for many in our generation (talking to my millennials here) we’re experiencing the outlandishness of it for the first time at such a high capacity.

In terms of the tragedies that are piling up around us, there is no more “that’s them” and “this is us”! I know as a black woman living in this country and as a family member and dear friend to residents in Houston Texas, the last few events in this country have hit home for me, and have left me feeling tired and hopeless in many ways.

Unrelenting disappointment leaves you heartsick, but a sudden good break can turn life around. -Proverbs 13:12

Solidarity is the ‘sudden good break’! It isn’t until whites stand with blacks, citizens stand with non-citizens, Christians stand with Muslims, heterosexuals and cisgenders stand with LGBT, that we find that hate is eliminated.

S O L I D A R I T Y should be our goal.

DISCLAIMER: The next few paragraphs should go on the record as being my own personal opinion, making it NOT fact but again my OWN personal opinion. I, Bri’on Whiteside believe that we struggle with solidarity( and true solidarity, for the record) because of fear. I believe that the fear of many outcomes causes people to shrink back from standing in the gap for one another.

According to Merriam Webster, Solidarity is the “unity (as of a group or class) that produces or is based on a community of interests, objectives and standards.

By unifying we don’t lose our ‘heritage’ or ‘individuality’, ‘morals’, ‘religious practices/ideology’ and etc. but rather bring all of those unique ingredients and experiences to the center for a firmer, and welcoming social structure. To stand-up for the safety of others who practice various religions, isn’t to deny your own. Likewise with other binaries, and the quicker we as a country discover such, the better and more expedient we will be for loving each other (and loving each other well, because another strong opinion of mine would be that partial love isn’t love at all… it’s all or nothing when it comes to these sorts of facets.)

However, the process starts within. Again, another humble opinion but one that I’d take to the bank is the VITAL need to stand on your personal beliefs and ethics, because YOU as an individual truly believe such.

As humanity we have to stop blindly affiliating ourselves with destructive ideology and truth based on reasons such as: “it’s always been that way”, “this is how I was raised”, etc. ESPECIALLY MILLENNIALS because this society is ours to bear and what we have and will continue to have to raise our children in. If that thought alone doesn’t scare you then I’m not sure what will.

We have to take action for our own sake, and that means focusing on what’s the most necessary, the safety and quality life of humanity. All binaries aside! A thought that’s been provoking my spirit lately is “if the shoe was on the other foot”... and I know it sounds cliche but think about it. For many of us the ‘shoe’ is no longer imaginarily on another’s but our own foot. The harsh realities of all the above or no longer on someone else’s struggle but my own as they hit closer to home, as myself and loved ones are affected by the aftermath of disaster after disaster.

What used to work in regard to old paradigm of thinking, just doesn’t anymore… and we as a human race shouldn’t continue to attempt to fit in its tired shoes. As a generation, let's think and be led accordingly to the needs of our own, which knows no race, gender, sexual preference, but a unwavering love that values the humanity and life within all.