Why Sucker Punch Should've Gotten A Better Rating

From the amazing cinematography to the in-depth story plot

68

Sucker Punch was released in 2011 and got a rating of 22% on rotten tomatoes. It also didn't get watched by many people until now. It's now a movie that has gotten more applause and rightfully deserves it. Here are 10 reasons why Sucker Punch deserves a better rating.

To recap, Sucker Punch is about a young girl they call Baby Doll who becomes an orphan and is taken to a hospital that has an ulterior motive. There she meets Rocket, Blondie, Amber and Sweet Pea who are also looking for freedom. During her dancing, she escapes reality and into a fantasy world that is teaching her how to survive in her reality. Eventually, the other girls join in these fantasy action scenes as they are joining her fight in reality. Through the fantasy world and their reality, the girls are fighting for their survival.

Great cinematography

The film has two types of looks to it depending on where the character is. It's either dark and dismal or it makes you feel like you have entered a video game. A lot of the film techniques create that fantasy video game look besides when she is in her dark reality. It's a visually appealing film.

Film score

The film score consists of remakes of amazing songs like Where is My Mind by Pixies, Asleep by The Smiths and White Rabbit by Jefferson Airplane. It also consists of an amazing version of Bjork's song Army of Me. The remakes are also very good and adds to the feeling of the film.

Badass female characters

Gfycat

There are amazing female characters in this film. They have many good action scenes in the fantasy world and are as much of fighters in their reality. All of the women are being trapped in their reality and are looking to break free using this imaginative world.

Foreshadowing

QuotesGram

There is a lot of foreshadowing in this film. This Wise Man character tells Babydoll exactly what she will need to survive her reality. It foreshadows what will help set them free and throughout the film these certain objects are seen. Occasionally there is foreshadowing of the events that happen at the end. It takes watching the film at least twice to understand how all the details come together. Once you realize it, you can tell a lot of thought was put into this film.

Unique action sequences

Wifflegif

The action in this movie is great and also reminds the audience of a video game. Each fantasy dream has a different action sequence and a different task. The action even changes with each sequence whether it's more stunts, guns, or slow motion graphics. It makes the action incredibly unique and different for every scene.

Devastating back stories

Wifflegif

This film starts out with a devastating back story with the main character, Baby Doll. It shows how she ended up as on Orphan and who takes her to the hospital, knowing what it really is. All the women have a terrible life and are looking for their fight to break free.

Dialogue

Rebloggy

The quotes in this film are amazing and are all about survival and pain. It can be a very motivational movie especially for women. My favorite quote is..."Who honors those we love with the very life we live? Who sends monsters to kill us, and at the same time sings that we'll never die? Who teaches us what's real and how to laugh at the lies? Who decides why we live, and what we'll die to defend? Who chains us, and who holds the key to set us free? It's you. You have all the weapons you need, now fight."

Fashion

The fashion in this film is very stylish but also badass. They will go from their dancing clothes and the things they are made to wear - to wearing a similar style but it is turned into warrior gear. The blend between the fashions of their reality and the fantasy world symbolizes the link between the two.

Unique ending

PrimoGif

The ending of this film was not a happy ending. However, it was very bittersweet. It's a good ending that will leave an impression on you. After the ending, you realize the deepness of the foreshadowing in the beginning. To this day, it will be one of my ultimate favorite endings of a film.

Overall dark tone

Wifflegif

Overall, this film has a dark tone. From the cinematography to the plot; it is very dark. The coloration matches the tone and embodies the meaning behind the story.

This film will always be a favorite of mine because I felt it was very well thought out. It shows the power of women and how they can overcome everything. The film score fits with the edgy film and is one you will want to download. From beginning to end, this film will keep your eyes clued to it.