Being Sucked Into Your Device Sucks

Being Sucked Into Your Device Sucks

If you look up from your screen every once in a while, you'll notice that heads are down with eyes locked onto the device in hand.
144

Living in this day and age has never been so technologically advanced. It's actually a bit scary to see how far we as humans have come...we can calculate big numbers, go shopping without leaving our beds or trying on anything, watch other people on a screen and copy, paste and delete things that we don't want. We also have access to contacting people 24/7 via our smartphones, tablets, and laptops. But if you look up from your screen every once in a while, you'll notice that heads are down with eyes locked onto the device in hand. For me, that's the scary part about being technologically advanced.

We think that since we're in constant communication with people and are always in the middle of some conversation whether it be via text, email, facetime, etc., that we are a social society. I beg to differ. Because of our devices and technology, we are actually losing social skills. I'm embarrassed to admit that I'm one of the many people who find it hard to keep an actual conversation (I'm talking articulating words and forming sentences and oh, I don't know, making actual eye contact with the other person.)

By solely communicating without actually talking face-to-face, we are forgetting how to interact and actually get to know someone that we didn't swipe right on.

Even when people gather together to hang out, phones are still out and there will be repeated lulls in conversation because people will be on their devices instead of being present with the people (that they probably made the plans with over social media) that they are currently with. It's sad because as humans, we are naturally social people and seeing that we're retreating instead of progressing in society in regards to being present and social are red flags for our future.

So I challenge you if you're addicted to your devices to put turn them off and put them down for an hour a day and actually go do activities that don't require them. You can hike, swim, paint or go take a walk, to name a few ideas. Even at the dinner table, put your phones on silent and put them in the middle of the table with the people that you are eating with so you aren't tempted to check them and that allows you to actually have a conversation with the folks you're dining with. (I do that a lot and it always proves to effectively work plus you bond better!)

Sure, you probably want to document events like games, concerts, and parties but here's a hint: nobody wants to watch an entire concert on your story. Turn it off and enjoy the moment before it's gone and you wasted it by being on your device the whole time.

You only have one life so why would you want to waste it trying to get followers and likes when you can actually go out and experience everything the world has to offer? Just a thought.