Success Tips for Incoming Freshman

Success Tips for Incoming Freshman

3

When I was a freshman, I wish someone would’ve given me some pointers to help me navigate through my undergrad years. Now heading into my junior year, I think it’s time we lay down some ground rules for incoming freshman to help them in their college adventures. I sat down with some graduating seniors and asked them their advice.

Here’s what they had to say:

1. Don’t wait until junior year to look for an internship. The more internships on your resume, the better!

2. It’s not what you know, it’s who you know. Connections after college are EVERYTHING. So make lots of friends and don’t burn any bridges. 

3. Talk to your professors. They’re here to help you. They care about your success. 

4. Your GPA is less important than you think it is. Focus more on building your resume and don't sweat getting that one B.

5. Your schedule is more important than your professors. Having the times that you want are more important than having the better-rated professors on BU books. (This rule does not apply to any class after 11am.)

6. College is a social experience. Don’t get so bogged down with your grades that you miss out on making memories. 

7. With that being said, college is the time to take risks: start a business, expand your comfort zone, and go against the grain. Don’t live on campus for more than you have to; 

8. Get a SCOOTER! 

9. Make a LinkedIn account! You won’t regret it. This can be the place to connect with Greek alum who can help you in your future career. 

10. Don’t post anything stupid on social media. Your future employers are going to look at your Facebook and Twitter, so be aware of that.

Photo courtesy of  123rf.com/profile_wavebreakmediamicro