How To Style Yourself Based On Tips I Learned Working In Retail

Shoutout to summer jobs and and style snobs!

73
Riley Farrell

I have always loved aesthetic, but I've never been superb at presenting myself. Maybe you can relate to me here, but I have always had a separation between what I think is the best fashion and what I actually end up wearing; as if I had a clandestine affair with day-dreamy silk fabrics but always settled for itchy polyester in the end. However, with my summer job as a Sales Associate at Kendra Scott, I had to bridge that psychological gap and finally look less vagabond. Thanks to my paid experience in trying to tell people what to wear, I had to learn how to look good enough for the clients to take me seriously.

1. Come up with a personal accountability system for your appearance.

My job requires me to have at least four "points" in my appearance. A romper/dress is one point. Some nice shoes are a point. A done-up face is a point. Jewelry is a point. Some slacks are a point. You get the picture. I'm not talking a full dress code, (which seems un-woke), but making sure you don't leave the house without putting on at least two "points" can give you a baseline confidence boost like no other.

2. When in doubt, go neutral.

Color is most powerful when used thoughtfully.

3. Play with your image by taking advantage of living in the age of fashion bloggers.

I'm serious. See if you actually like the baddie aesthetic on yourself or if you have a soft spot for an artsy style. Boho, professional, or girly - experiment with the looks. You are a person and nothing is tying you to how you currently appear. You are not a brand, so feel free to have fun with your clothes.

4. Think of styling yourself as a meditative part of your morning routine.

Listen to something enjoyable as you get ready; make self-care and preparation for the day both *fun* and mentally essential to your routine.

5. Take an honest look at your appearance and decide your biggest strengths - accentuate those parts of you.

We tend to take a microscope to the traits that bother us and focus on hiding those "problem areas". Take that negative process and reverse it positively. Play up your best assets, forget about the rest. Once you know which silhouettes flatter you, filter trends and stick to that general, trusted shape for maximum cuteness and self-assurance.

6. If you're waiting for a sign to get rid of some of the crap in your closet, this is it.

I know, I know. Maybe you're sentimental. Maybe you still fit into all your old clothes. Maybe it's a hassle to put clothes in a bag and drive them to a donation center. Maybe what-the-heck-ever.

Here's a litmus test to see if your consumerism has reached hoarding capacities: if you cannot see every item in your wardrobe without rummaging messily, you must whittle away the excess. Consider donating anything you haven't worn in the past year.

7. Elevate yourself... literally.

I realize stilettos are not realistic for most circumstances or people. But, listen. Coming from a shorter individual with stubby Weiner-dog legs, adding height can do wonders for how you carry yourself and how others perceive your presence. Command a room with some power heels or opt for some platform sandals instead of flip-flops.

8. A pop of color will go a long way.

Brighten your face with a bold lip or throw on some bright shoes because this move can make you stand out from the crowd in a way that isn't too busy.

9. Need some hipness?

Cuff your jeans. Layer your necklaces and rings. Knot your shirt. Utilize Tan's French tuck.

10. Let the seasons inspire you... but don't let them limit you.

If the weather invigorates you to dress a certain way, go with it. Wear pastels in the spring and earth tones in the fall. \

But you can still wear black in the summer if you want.

11. At least one accessory at all times will make you look less frazzled.

Your favorite earrings. A sophisticated pair of black sunglasses. A belt to snatch your waist. A statement necklace. Wedges so beachy you can practically smell the salt of the ocean in its straps. Even something as simple as a classic, well-made purse will serve you. You have time before you leave to throw on one accessory.

*Caution*: Too many accessories are worse than too few. Tackiness is a possibility with overzealous accessorization. Air on the side of deliberate with your extras.

12. Acquire the investment pieces that you can/will wear forever.

I'm talking the timeless and iconic pieces, here. A pair of fantastic jeans. Nude pumps. A black dress. Some diamond earrings. A coat that costs more than the average thing in your closet.

13. The Equilibrium Rule: If your top is oversized, wear fitted bottoms & if your bottoms are oversized, wear a fitted top.

A 50/50 basic, this guideline works.

14. Don't let anyone dull your sparkle.

Confidence, my darlings.

Now, go and be an elevated you!