What Happens When Studying Abroad Doesn't Turn Out As You Expected

If I've learned one thing, it's to keep an open mind about everything.

12
goabroad.com

I came to Galway expecting to be immersed in an intensive BIS (business information systems) research project that would strengthen my skills in the subject and better prepare me for real world challenges within the professional field that I would potentially face. Instead, the most I have done with information systems is reorganize an Excel spreadsheet for my professor at the university.

While this was and still remains to be frustrating, I was told that I was to attend a week-long program entitled "Scaling a Business," led by professors from the university in Galway and elsewhere. Although we were told we would have the weekends off, I was told to arrive for the program's first session at 8 a.m. on Saturday in order to help market it and do various, intern-like odd jobs for my mentor.

Enraged by the lack of respect for the initial program rules and for the marketing focus (versus my intended major), I came into the day with the most pessimistic attitude. I sat through exercises and elevator pitches and even took part in a negotiation. I felt I had learned nothing at all and that my peers were so lucky to be off exploring this glorious city while I was stuck inside doing nothing.

I stepped outside during lunch time and I called my mom. I told her about my ongoing frustration and she assured me there was potential to learn from the situation, as long as I open my mind and accept the information and ideas being shared. I scoffed and brushed her off, explaining that I was learning nothing since the work didn’t pertain to my BIS-major.

I then proceeded to detail to her a few of the innovative ideas these companies have come up with. I told her of the natural, premium whiskey one young entrepreneur pitched, and of the beer kegs made of polyethelene rather than steel. I explained to her the differences between their products and the current market-ridden products, gushing about each and how interesting I found their designs.

When I finished, my mom simply said, "So, you learned something then."

It was then that I realized that, despite my grievances and reservations, I was still able to get something out of an experience I had anticipated to be nothing but a chore. I never like to let go of my pride and admit that my mother was right, as that goes against the innate nature of young adults, but my mom did make me realize something; every experience is learning experience if you let it be one, you just need to keep an open mind.