Got The Pre-Study Abroad Scaries? Well Girl, Me Too

Part excited, part terrified, studying abroad is a whole different level of nerve wracking.

122

Even if you've traveled abroad before, studying abroad can seem like a terrifying new experience. Especially if the duration of your trip is going to be a little longer than some. Like mine, which is over winter break (aka a whole month…yikes). I have about three weeks until I leave and it's just now setting in that I'll be away in a foreign country (relatively) alone, for a whole month. Even though I know it's going to be an amazing experience, the fear is definitely still there.

If you're anything like me, you stress about the fact that you have things to stress about…so preparing for a long trip during the already stressful last weeks of the semester is kind of (or you know, extremely) the worst. What to pack, how to pack under fifty pounds, etc, so on and so forth. It can seem like a lot to handle. Yet, that little voice in the back of my mind keeps saying "Shut up, this is going to be so much fun. You should be so grateful you have this opportunity." Of course, I know this, but it's still okay to be scared. Not only is it okay, but it's also totally normal. Hell, it'd be less normal if you weren't scared.

If you're studying abroad soon and you're scared out of your mind, my best advice for you (or us) is to just relax a little. I've found with situations like this, things tend to work themselves out. Especially if you're going on a well-planned program with your school. Safety-wise, your school will genuinely do their best to keep you safe. They want you to have a good experience just as much as you want to have one.

So from one stressor to another, you are in no way alone. Relax a little and have some faith in the process…no matter how horrifying that may seem. You're gonna have a blast abroad, and you know it.