Why You Should Study Abroad In College

Why You Should Study Abroad In College

Ciao. Bonjour. Hola. Guten Tag. Ola. Namaste.

70
Why You Should Study Abroad In College
European Best Destinations

They say that college is the best four years of your lives, and it really is. One of the reasons that this is true is the amazing opportunities that are presented to you. You get the chance to meet people who live all the way across the country from you, you are able to join philanthropic and social organizations, and you get to explore your freedom for the first time. Another amazing opportunity that you can take advantage of is the chance to study for a semester abroad.

Why should you study abroad? Well for one reason, you get to literally spend 3+ months in a foreign country, exploring their culture and traditions, all while continuing your education. Depending on where you decide to study, you get to travel all over, seeing famous landmarks and expanding your horizon. Also, imagine all the incredible food you would get to eat.

I have applied to study abroad in Florence, Italy for next semester and I am so excited for this chance of a lifetime. I am going to be in my motherland, consuming endless amounts of pasta, pizza, wine, and gelato. I am going to be walking to class and I'll casually stroll by the famous Duomo. I am going to be sitting in a piazza at a cafe, sipping on a cappuccino, whilst watching the Italian people go about their day.

Since I have never been to Europe before, I am going to be traveling everywhere. Check out my Instagram from time to time because sure enough, you will see me on the London Eye, drinking a Guinness in Ireland, hiking through the Swiss Alps, and strutting through the streets of Barcelona.

Right before I had to submit my application, I hesitated and had a minor freak out about actually being away from my friends and family for that long. I was also hit with the FOMO (fear of missing out) on what my friends would be doing while I would be gone. I would be jealous of missing formals and going out on the weekends. I was so close to saying, "Screw this I am not going!" I tried talking myself out of it, making up excuses about being scared and about how I could not afford to travel anywhere outside my host city.

But then something clicked in my head. It told me that all of those things will be waiting for me when I get home. I will always have time to go to bars with my friends or going out to dinner with them. All of those fears were just excuses that would have held me back from the most amazing trip of my life. I won't ever again have an opportunity to travel around Europe and meet people who aren't just from across the country, but across the world. I knew in my heart that if I decided to stay in the states for the semester, I would always regret passing on the opportunity.

You should one hundred percent try to study abroad if you have the chance to. You will be able to immerse yourself in different cultures and expand your horizons. Think about all of the friends and memories you will make and how it will positively impact your life. It will help shape you into the person you are meant to be. I haven't even gone yet, but I know how much I am going to love the experience and I will never want to leave.