Studies Show Procrastinating Makes You a Better Student

Watching cat videos is proven to make you more productive.

22

Procrastinating has always gotten a bad reputation. Whether it's from your mom yelling at you to file your FAFSA or your professors complaining about students leaving their responsibilities to the last minute, we all know the drill. But new research may put these nay-sayers to rest (at least long enough for us to watch Keyboard Cat a few more times).

New research suggests that our cat-video induced study breaks are actually pretty beneficial and may help us be more productive than if we acted like the perfect disciplined students our professors hope us to be.

A study based out of Japan researched the effects of showing baby animals such as puppies and kittens to a group of students performing a detail-oriented task. Not only did scores of these participants increase the second time they performed the task, but they also took more time and were more conscientious the second time, suggesting a higher attention to details after wards. Applied in the workplace and on campuses, these temporary breaks from the mundane could actually improve efficiency and productivity.

So, next time you find yourself in the vortex of YouTube at 2:00 a.m. watching cats make weird sounds the night before an exam, tell yourself you're just making yourself "more productive."

The addictive powers of cute baby animals and babies is nothing new to science. You may never have heard of the term 'baby schema' before, but you've definitely experienced it...unless you're heartless, emotionless void.

Baby schema refers to the irresistible nature of baby-like features on both humans and animals. The big puppy-dog eyes, the huge head of a baby, the cute smooshed faces and high foreheads of pugs and Persian cats, all of these are examples of the types of features that trigger us to find baby animals and humans so adorable.

The most noticeable effect these animal video have on us is in our mood and disposition. Sure it feels so much nicer watching a panda cam from across the world rather than cram your brain full of finance formulas, but there's actual science that proves watching videos of cute animals boosts your mood.

In research done by Jessica Gall Myrick, assistant professor at Indiana University, respondents reported feeling lowered levels of anxiety and guilt while watching the videos and experienced a more positive outlook after finishing watching the videos. Granted watching three hours of baby bunnies munching on leafy greens and huskies howling at each-other won't get you that "A" in biology, but it may make you feel a bit more confident in your abilities.

The world of cuteness is also big business as well, with the Super Bowl being a prime example. Think of the top three ads of this past Super Bowl that you can remember. Most likely there was an animal within the context of one of these commercials.

Whether it was the disturbing puppy-monkey-baby creature that haunted our dreams or the emotional Budweiser ads displaying the connection between a horse and its owner which almost made us cry (okay maybe I shed a tear or two), animals are another trigger for emotional memories. Memories tied with emotions, whether good or bad have a higher chance of being retained in long term memory. That's why it's so hard to remember what an endoplasmic riticulum is, but it's second nature to remember how you felt the day when your first pet died.

The takeaway from all this research and studies is that animal videos are good for the world and even better for our productivity. So next time you share a video on Facebook about cats freaking out about cucumbers behinds them, just think: you're really just helping brighten someone else day. In this day and age especially, the world could use a little bit more positivity.