To my teacher

To The Teachers Who Have Students That Struggle With Mental Illness, Know We're Sorry And We're Trying

You do not understand what we go through.

Nguyen95
Nguyen95
98

Dear High School Teachers,

I know I may be one of your problem students in class and I'm sorry. If you know me you would know that I been put into over three foster homes in over a year and I don't feel loved. I'm sorry if I slept through your class; I know you worked hard to put together a good lesson plan. Just know that I'm dealing with past trauma and it has been taking over my whole life since the third grade. I would spend nights crying myself to sleep and wondering why I don't matter to people.

When I space out it is because the fight that I saw on the way to class reminded me of the fights I use to see my parents have, and I am just trying to bring myself to the realization that I am not in the past anymore.

I know I am that kid who would have a hard time working in groups. Just know that I always had a lonely childhood. My sister went to live with her dad and my cousins come around only once in a while so being social is awkward for me.

Lunch for me is hard, I know you see that I am that kid who eats alone. Just know that it is my life at home once I am out of school. My mom has to work for twelve hours a day just so I can have food to eat.

I know I'm the kid that is goofy and shows off sometimes. Even though I live like I am the only child, I barely get any attention. I know I have anger sometimes as well and will be mean to the other kids. I am only mean because that is how my family is to me at times.

I know I am a smart student, and when you give me a praise just know it is one of the best gifts I could ever treasure. I always get criticized harshly at home and even a grade of a B discourages me because, in order to get on my mom's good side, it seemed like I always had to have A's.

Just know that I appreciate all that you do and what you had taught me. Because of you, I became the kid who graduated high school and will graduate college soon. I promise to be the kid who helps others and is compassionate.

Thank you.