To The Teachers Who Have Students That Struggle With Mental Illness, Know We're Sorry And We're Trying

You do not understand what we go through.

96

Dear High School Teachers,

I know I may be one of your problem students in class and I'm sorry. If you know me you would know that I been put into over three foster homes in over a year and I don't feel loved. I'm sorry if I slept through your class; I know you worked hard to put together a good lesson plan. Just know that I'm dealing with past trauma and it has been taking over my whole life since the third grade. I would spend nights crying myself to sleep and wondering why I don't matter to people.

When I space out it is because the fight that I saw on the way to class reminded me of the fights I use to see my parents have, and I am just trying to bring myself to the realization that I am not in the past anymore.

I know I am that kid who would have a hard time working in groups. Just know that I always had a lonely childhood. My sister went to live with her dad and my cousins come around only once in a while so being social is awkward for me.

Lunch for me is hard, I know you see that I am that kid who eats alone. Just know that it is my life at home once I am out of school. My mom has to work for twelve hours a day just so I can have food to eat.

I know I'm the kid that is goofy and shows off sometimes. Even though I live like I am the only child, I barely get any attention. I know I have anger sometimes as well and will be mean to the other kids. I am only mean because that is how my family is to me at times.

I know I am a smart student, and when you give me a praise just know it is one of the best gifts I could ever treasure. I always get criticized harshly at home and even a grade of a B discourages me because, in order to get on my mom's good side, it seemed like I always had to have A's.

Just know that I appreciate all that you do and what you had taught me. Because of you, I became the kid who graduated high school and will graduate college soon. I promise to be the kid who helps others and is compassionate.

Thank you.