To The Students Struggling In College

To The Students Struggling In College

Never stop believing in yourself.
195

I know it is hard. I know you feel like people don't understand. School is tough, especially college. People try to prepare you for college, but you are never as prepared as you should be. There are more bumps in the road than people told you about and now you don't know what to do. It seems like your counselor doesn't help and your professors don't seem to care whether you pass or fail their classes. You study all the time yet don't get the grades you want on your exams and sitting there looking at your grade for a class gives you the feeling of giving up. I am here to tell you that you are not alone.

Here is my story. I am a second-semester junior majoring in Forensic Science. Well. . . I was majoring in Forensic Science. Last week, I made the decision to switch my major because of one class. You Forensics majors already know what class I'm talking about. Organic Chemistry. That class was absolutely the hardest class I have ever attempted to take in my life.

The worst part is that this was my second time taking it. The first time, I withdrew from it because I would rather take a "W" than an "F" because my grade was passed the point of saving. This semester, I went out and got the help I needed. I got a tutor, I went to the professor, I formed study groups. Nothing helped and my grade is just as bad as it was the first time I attempted it.

I was so stressed that I kept getting sick, I stopped eating. This class made me so depressed that I couldn't get out of bed for my other classes. I let this Organic Chemistry class affect me in so many ways that were not healthy and I finally said, "enough is enough". Forensics has always been my passion, but obviously the major was not meant for me.

So, with that being said, I switched my major to Behavioral Health Science and the good news is that I still can do what I am passionate about and I am still going to graduate on time! A huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders and I feel the best I have in weeks.

The moral of my story is to let you know not to give up. I debated just dropping out of school; I almost did drop out of school because if I couldn't be a Forensics major, I didn't want to major at all. However, you need to do what is best for you. If you are struggling and it is affecting your mindset and lifelike O-chem did to me, then it is time for a change. You may not want to change your major, but maybe you need to. Do the research; see what majors are similar to yours and if you are interested in it, then go for it!

Everyone struggles in school. Some people struggle more than others and that is okay! Either way, you are not alone! Do not give up, do not feel like you are dumb or unintelligent, do not start to feel unmotivated or unhappy. Surround yourself with people who care, or who are in the same position as you.

Then, you will notice that you are not alone. Then, you will notice that anything is possible. If you have to switch majors, do it because nothing matters more than your happiness and mental health.

You may not see it now, but getting rid of the class(es) that is(are) making you struggle, will be a blessing in disguise for you.

To the person struggling in college:

You are worth it and you are not alone. Keep going and never give up!