5 Struggles Of Being A Religious College Student

FOMO and WWJD.

229
Flickr

I do not know whether you are Muslim, Christian, Hindu, Catholic, Jewish or none of the above but one thing I do know for sure and can relate to is that being a religious college student can sometimes be incredibly hard. Depending on your religion, your struggles may be the same or different from mine, maybe your parents won't allow you to marry someone who is not from your religion or ethnic group, maybe you cannot eat certain foods, maybe you cannot drink alcohol, or even dance.

There are many things that your religion may or may not allow you to do, so I am here sitting on my couch thinking about you, who just like me, has struggles that sometimes make us wonder what our lives would be like if we did some of the stuff we have missed out on. Do not worry, I did not write an article trying to convince you of doing non-religion approved things. Instead, I wrote a semi-dramatic article about the struggles I have for sticking to my religious practices with the hopes you can relate to them or at least find them interesting.

Through out my college career I have constantly found myself facing situations were not only my faith but also my morals are put to the test, time and time again. More often than not, I find enough will-power to avoid doing something bad when it comes to my faith or morals; however, I can't say I am a saint.

So after a lot of brainstorming, I have narrowed it down to my top 5 most relevant struggles, enjoy/relate:

1. Not being able to have an occasional hook up.

This one is personally one of the most recurrent dilemmas I have. Please do not think I am creepy for saying this, but there have certainly been times when I meet a girl that I get really interested in and because of my religious views and bad timing I restrain my hormone-full self from "making a move" unless I am aiming to build a relationship with her.

Sadly, I am a guy that likes to take his time to know a girl if I am trying to date her; that way, I will know every ball she could possibly throw at me. Unfortunately, most of the time I don't get that time or don't find the right girl… So yeah, I can't say I am the most experienced guy out there.

2. Missing out on stuff.

If you are like me, a stupidly nice and attractive person, you probably have a lot of friends and you maybe have one crazy friend that you love but you can't always hang out with just because he or she can sometimes get a little too crazy for you. If you do have that friend, he or she probably makes you feel like you have been missing out in a lot of stuff, especially if they tell you all their crazy-cool stories about what they did over the weekend.

Most of the time our religions and moral codes won't allow us to do most of those crazy things we wish we got a crack at. This doesn't mean that all the things our crazy friend does are bad, but sometimes we just can't do them depending on our views.

3. Learning that peer pressure is a real thing.

In college, you will probably have many opportunities to do all kinds of stuff that maybe some of your friends do, like drinking, smoking or anything of that sort. But because you may restrain from doing most or all of those kinds of activities, your friends sometimes may pressure you into having a "puff" with them or something like that when you really don't feel like it.

Dealing with this can sometimes be very uncomfortable depending on how insisting your friends are, so if you are that overly insisting friend and happen to be reading this, leave your innocent/religious friend alone, and just hope he'll "come to his senses" sometime.

P.S. That may never happen, so don't get your hopes up overly insisting friend ;) .

4. Unwillingly growing apart from friends.

I don't know if you have noticed this but if you are very orthodox, your restrictions to do several activities may have been limiting the number of things you can do, which can cause you to gradually exclude or grow apart from some people in your life. It is not because you don't like them or anything like that, but sometimes the activities you rather do in your spare time will happen to differ a lot from your friend's preferred activities, which may cause ya'll to gradually grow apart.

This is totally fine but it can be hard to get used to. In life, I've come to realize that friends come and go! Even if we may not like it at times, we got to get used to it, even though you probably wish it wasn't like that.

5.  Critically analyzing your own beliefs vs. religious beliefs.

Having been born and raised in a Catholic household, my mom made sure I knew everything I needed to know in order to be a good Catholic boy; however, I don't know if this happens to you with your respective religion, but at times I find myself disagreeing with some things that are stated by either the scriptures or by the church. This does not mean by any means that I am not Catholic or that I do not believe in my religious practices. I mean, I love God, I trust in him and I never miss Mass on Sunday, but I certainly have my own views when it comes to the structure or execution of several processes within the Catholic church. You may think, how does this relate to being a college student?

Well, here's why: In college, you'll expose yourself to a lot of situations where your religion may contradict certain actions you may perform, however, after some thinking you may realize that choosing to do these prohibited actions is not necessarily bad for you, others, or your moral code.

So, at times you may think "why are these things bad or not openly accepted in my religion?" There are many plausible examples of when this may happen, and I am sure these vary depending on your religion but if you have been in this same position, I am absolutely sure you know exactly what I am talking about.