The Struggles of Prom Dating--Part V

The Struggles of Prom Dating--Part V

Miles goes practicing, and his mom is his helper in more ways than one.

9
The Struggles of Prom Dating--Part V
Matheus Ferrero

“Alright, honey, let’s start by going out to drive,” Miles’ mother suggested as she tossed her keys to Miles. It had been a couple of weeks since they had gone out, so it was a good chance to make sure he was alright to drive Wanda to prom. It was still raining outside, but luckily, the car was parked in the garage, so they could not get wet. Miles opened the garage exit door to find storage boxes lined up on the shelves, ready to be looked into if they needed anything. Miles peaked up at the boxes on the top shelf, seeing his father’s stuff still sitting there. Miles knew his mother would look through them occasionally—whenever she thought the kids were asleep. She never could bring herself to get rid of it despite the years that had gone by. Miles thought about looking up there, but he never felt he could. He worried about it bringing too many bad memories of their father leaving them.

“Alright, kid, you ready?” Miles’ mother asked, bringing Miles back to the present.

“Yea, mom, how about you? Ready to take the passenger seat?” Miles questioned as he opened the car door. Miles’ mother did the same on the passenger side, and they got in the car together. Once the doors were closed, Miles opened the garage door; he looked out the rearview mirror to see the rain coming down hard and fast. Miles had not driven in such a hard rain before, but he knew his mother had a reason for taking him out now other than the prom date.

"I’ve been ready for years! Being the only one who can drive is a bear,” Miles’ mother admitted as she took her brunette hair down from the bun she had in previously. They buckled their seatbelts, and Miles adjusted the mirrors. “Alright now, back out slowly, and be careful of the sides. Also, make sure you are in reverse; I do not need to see another opening at the other end of the garage, please and thank you.”

“Yes, mother,” Miles stated as he concentrated on getting the car out of the garage. He backed out slowly, especially when the side mirrors were close to the car. The car may have only been a four-door sedan, but it was a little wider of a car. Miles’ mother wanted to make sure everyone had enough leg room when buying the car, which is why she got the one she has now. Once the car was out of the garage, Miles stopped to look both ways behind him before pulling out onto the street, making sure there were no cars coming. He turned the car out, and then once he was on the road, he turned the wheel to start driving. Miles’ mother directed him as Miles practiced driving around the town, making sure to pay attention as he went. They kept at practicing for a good half an hour, trying to see if Miles felt comfortable enough to drive. His test was coming up soon anyways, so this just allowed for them to practice more.

As Miles drove around town, they stopped at the one set of stop lights quick. The light was red, so Miles took a chance to admire the old buildings in the downtown area. That was before he saw Wanda scurrying towards the stoplight, looking to be on the way home. Miles did not feel right about leaving her in the rain, so once the light turned green, he turned on his left blinker to turn and park.

“Miles, what are you doing?” Miles’ mother asked as she had directed him to go straight. Miles made sure to put the car in park.

“Hold on, mom,” Miles told her as he unbuckled his seatbelt and hoped out of the car. “I’ll be right back.” He ran over to Wanda, who had not noticed him yet. “Do you want a ride?” Wanda turned, wide-eyed, before recognizing him. Wanda nodded with a smile as her hair clamped around her face, wet from the rain. Miles held out his hand, and Wanda took it in hers as they ran back to the car. Miles opened the rear door for her, behind his mother, and Wanda threw herself in the warm car. Miles shut the door quickly before running around the car and getting in as well.

“It is cold out there. Do you feel the heat enough, Wanda?” Miles asked as he was worried about if she was out there too long.

“No, I am fine, thanks,” Wanda smiled at him as she buckled her seatbelt.

“I might as well introduce you two,” Miles engaged as he remembered they had not yet met. “Mom, this is Wanda; Wanda, this is my mom, Trudy.”

“It’s nice to meet you, Trudy; Thank you for letting me in the car,” Wanda said as she surveyed the gray, cotton seats and the inside of the car.

“It’s great to finally meet you,” Trudy greeted Wanda as she was excited to meet the girl who asked her son to prom. “Miles just told me you two are going to prom together. That is so exciting! We are just getting some practice in for Miles to drive you this coming weekend.”

“Yea, I am just glad he accepted,” Wanda smiled. “A girl can only wait so long before she needs to take things upon herself—as my grandmother would say.”

“Damn straight,” Trudy agreed.

“Mom!” Miles admonished.

“Oh, come on, now, honey. You know I love you.”

“But—.”

“No, buts, now, we need to get going, so let’s back out carefully and go to the left down the street. Now, Wanda, where do you live?” Trudy asked to make sure they knew where she lived.

“I live on 8th street, ma’am,” Wanda stated as Miles reversed out of the parking spot.

Miles saw Trudy turned to face Wanda and said, “Oh, please, don’t call me ma’am—makes me sound old! Call me Trudy, or mom if you want. Since you and my son are going to prom together.”

“Alright, Trudy, I think I can do that.” Miles caught Wanda’s smile when he looked back at her for a moment.

“Thank you, my dear,” Trudy replied. “Now, prom details: what color dress are you wearing?”

“It will be purple and black.”

“Very nice—rocking it, I am sure.” Trudy smiled. “We’ll have to get you, Miles, a purple shirt and a black suit.”

“And maybe some cowboy boots, if it isn’t asking too much,” Wanda intermitted. “It would go with the theme of prom and all.”

“Alright, honey, I know just where to find him some,” Trudy replied before giving Miles directions down 8th Street.

“My house is right up here.” Miles saw Wanda point to the ranch-style house at the end of the block. Miles made sure to take his time pulling over to the curve—making sure he was doing everything right.

He noticed his mom nod with a smile before she turned to Wanda, “It was so nice to meet you, hon, and I am excited to see you next week.”

“It was great meeting you too, Trudy, and thank you for giving me a ride home.”

“Oh, anytime, anytime.”

“Bye, Miles. See you at school,” Wanda interjected before she fully got out of the car.

“See ya later, Wanda,” Miles replied, turning and waving quickly before she shut the door. Miles watched as she ran to her front door and unlocked it before entering.