Struggles of an INFJ

Key Struggles of an INFJ

It's the rarest personality type which leads to hilarious everyday occurrences.

837
Key Struggles of an INFJ

Let's start off by defining an INFJ. The term comes from the Myers-Briggs Personality Test and is an acronym for "Introversion, Intuition, Feeling, and Judgement." As a group, they make up less than 1% of the world's population which makes them both interesting and weird to the other 15 personality types. On a side note, if you'd like to discover your own personality type according to Myers-Briggs, click on the following link and take the free test! https://www.16personalities.com/free-personality-test

INFJ's, as a whole, tend to be creative, quiet, and private--to a fault. As an INFJ myself, I've realized that I belong to a group of people that have no problem communicating their ideas and thoughts through writing but tend devolve into bumbling idiots the moment they open their mouths. Following are 5 struggles INFJ's will read and say, "Yes! That's me!"

People mistake your quiet nature for weakness...when, in all reality, there's a firestorm going on in your mind.

It's volatile and a heck of a good time.

It takes a lot of trust for you to come out of your shell and, until that time, you reserve your thoughts for yourself. You undoubtedly have an opinion on everything but reserve the need to discuss them until you can honestly trust the people around you. It makes you seem distant, shy even, but you're just a super-censor when it comes to what you say.

You freak yourself out with your ability to "see the future."

Well, sort-of.

You don't believe in real fortune-tellers but you have an uncanny ability to identify patterns in behavior and how a certain situation might turn out. You compile the evidence around you i.e. body language, voice tone and modulation, the smallest of facial gestures, to desperately try and understand what's going to happen next. You don't much care for surprises and do everything in your power as an individual to predict what's going to happen. In all honesty, it's hard for you not to be right because you find yourself going through every single outcome there could possibly be. It's exhausting.

People give you the weirdest looks when you talk, but when you write...

Like this one.

Your mind is a constant vortex of thoughts, patterns, ideas, epiphanies, and explosions. You're used to it, it's your mind after all. It's when you try to communicate your mind to others when the conversation can take a nose dive. You are by no means stupid but the thoughts come tumbling out in a way that makes eyebrows raise. It takes practice and focus to effectively communicate your ideas which is why you tend to turn to writing. On paper, you are free to be yourself and, with every stroke of the pen, your worldly shackles are broken and you raise a little higher. The paper never judges you.

You're constantly drawn to more outgoing personality types, think ENFP or ENTP, even though you have no idea how they do what they do.

I.e. talking.

If you're honest to yourself, some of the people you most admire are outgoing, personable people. Although you can't understand their ability to go outside your ever-present comfort zone, you appreciate them for it. And even though you hate it, they constantly push you to be a bit more outgoing, vocal, whatever you want to call it. They never miss an opportunity to make you a bit less weird in the eyes of the world and, for that, you're grateful.

People hear you're an INFJ and immediately think you're some sort of mystical crystal ball.

When all you do is embarrass yourself daily.

You have a unique way of looking at and understanding the world. You combine patterns and anomalies with intuition and animals instincts. The internet is rife with articles saying how special you are when, in all honesty, being what you are is an honor and a struggle. You're the mystical crystal ball on paper but struggle with opening your mouth to communicate those thoughts in person. You used to hate your inability to make people understand you, but now, you identify it as a form of freedom. You're unique just like every other person you meet, which didn't used to make sense. But now it does.