The Struggles of Learning A New Language.

At some point, we've all probably try to learn a new language. Either because it was a class or because we wanted to learn something new. Let's be fair. Most get unmotivated and here are the reasons why I have gathered from years of learning languages (either with a professor or by myself and observing the rest of my classmates giving up):

16

Having no one to practice it with:

I am currently going through this. I am learning French, and I have no one to practice with. It is very discouraging saying 'I know french' but when you have to talk nothing comes out. I have now made my life goal to find someone with whom I can talk French with. I encourage everyone t do so. It doesn't matter if it's your teacher. As long as there is someone you can practice with you can go long ways.

If you do find someone they talk too fast

Any language that isn't your own sounds like a riddle when you don't understand. Usually, it's your professor that talks too fast and has to translate everything he/she said because you or the rest of the class has confused expressions. When this happens, tell them to slow down and don't let them talk to you in English. Otherwise, it'll defeat the purpose of talking to them in the first place. Sure, you can ask them to translate a word you do not understand but try to avoid your native language as much as possible.

Or have no idea how to explain them what youre trying to say in a mixture of [insert language here] and english because they dont know english.

One evening during fall break 2017 I got the chance of running into a native French speaker, struggling with her camera and I was willing to help her. Long story short, half of the conversation was sign language and the rest words I thought would help. Ironically, her husband knew English but allow both us to struggle (she was learning English, and I was learning French). I would say, don't be afraid of this happening but do take your time. There is a language barrier that can be easily broken since you are learning. Just take a deep breath and try your best. Most native speakers are willing to help you with their language because they can tell you are giving your best.

You know how to write it and read it better than speaking it but whats the point when you have no one to text in that language

This is my struggle. I know how to write and read french better than speaking it. It was not until this semester that I have taken to sending emails to my french teacher in only french that I've realize that having a friend that speaks the language you are learning is a must.

You don't know what books to buy because you don't know what level you are.

At some point, we will all need to read a book in the language that we are learning. Here is the thing, do we buy a kids book or a young adult? The decision on what book to buy has to do with the level of understanding you have on the language. Most recommend that you start with children books and go from there. Or you can read a book that you have already read in your native language (i.e., Harry Potter). No matter what though, don't feel discouraged. As long as you try your best, you'll be conquering a new language. It also helps if you see tv shows and movies on the language you are learning.