11 Struggles Of Being An Indian Muslim, As Told By Spongebob

Yes, I am Indian. No, I’m not polytheistic. And so what?

1728
YouTube / Superwoman

Disclaimer: The YouTuber pictured in the cover photo, known as Superwoman, is not a Muslim.

Most people I've encountered are extremely accepting, but this is for that other 1 percent. Whether it's dealing with the occasional misguided individual or having to wear atrocious swimsuits, here are 11 struggles of being an Indian Muslim.

1. Thinking that being Indian and being a Muslim are mutually exclusive.

Being Indian is a race, people. Islam is a religion. It is possible to be both.

2. Getting hit with #AlternativeFacts.

Did you know that every single Muslim in India left during the Indo-Pak split resulted in all "Indian" Muslims actually hailing from Pakistan or Bangladesh? Neither did I.

3. “You’re probably North Indian then, right? There are more Muslims there.”

Nope. I’m about as South Indian as it gets. #represent

4. Automatically assuming I'm a Hindu because of my skin tone.

No, I want to check if there’s pork in this sausage, not beef.

5. Judgmental Parents

“My parents hate most Muslims but I’m sure they’ll love you!

"I would love to meet your parents!"

6. Islamophobic statements people make in front of me because they assume I’m not a Muslim

Friend: Lol my parents said I can date anyone I want except Muslims because they’re evil — I’m sure you can relate.

Me: …

Me: No, can’t relate.

*Cue the awkward silence*

7. People constantly offering me water when I’m fasting

Their reactions when I tell them why I can't accept it are worth every drop they offered.

8. “Aren’t you hot in those long pants?”

Yes, I am, thanks for asking.

9. "Happy Diwali! Wait, you do know what that is, right?"

While I am a Muslim, I'm not ignorant. So, Happy Diwali to you too, friend. I'd rather you wish me for Eid though.

10. "Why don't you take that cardigan off?"

Because this shirt is sleeveless, but it was cute, and I didn't expect it to be this hot. Bad life decisions, I know.

11. Swimsuits.

No bikinis or tankinis or any kind of -inis for this girl. While everyone else is chilling in the sun, I'm hiding in the bathroom making sure that the morphsuit I have on doesn't see the light of day. At least it guarantees I don't tan :')