The Struggles Of Having Resting Nice Face

I am not smiling at you, it is just my face.

28
Taken from Pinterest.

Random people think it’s okay to sit with you in Starbucks.

As you casually sip your pumpkin spice latte before your morning routine, here comes a total stranger darting for the seat next to you. As you hurry to pull up some kind of task on your phone, they’ll start to make some weird joke, and expect that permanent smile of yours to laugh. Do they even realize that it's 8 a.m. and no one wants to talk to anyone at this time of day?!

People always ask you for favors.

How many times has a stranger asked you for directions, or even better, asked to use your phone?! How many times have you clearly been in the middle of doing something, and someone asks you to stop what you’re doing to help them? People just think you are always free to do whatever you need at any time.

They also feel way too comfortable disclosing very private information with you.

Remember that stranger in Starbucks? How about the one that asked you for directions? Yea, they totally just told you their life story. From the weird details of their recent breakup, to the tragic death of the favorite cat, you now know this complete stranger way more than you would have liked. Now you feel awkward so you go with the nodding and smiling until the dreadful conversation is over.

The vendors at the kiosk in the mall get way too excited when you walk by.

They see your smiling face from a mile away and they can’t wait to stop you. You try your hardest not to make eye contact and then make up some story of how in a hurry you are and apologize for not stopping. Walking through the mall is literally impossible without being stopped by the guys selling curling irons or other beauty products.

People think you are actually always happy.

You’ve gotten used to the “you look so happy all the time” comments. You may have even been awarded the “Always Smiling” award in school. (Yes, I actually won the award.) People never really ask how you are doing, because they just assume your life is rainbows and butterflies and nothing ever goes wrong. Newsflash guys, just because we are smiling does not actually mean we are happy! Chances are I woke up late, spilled my coffee, broke my phone, and I’m internally hating life. But hey, my resting nice face has that covered!

Your personal space in constantly invaded.

If you are anything like me, you hate being touched, but for some reason people think it is entirely okay to invade your personal bubble. You have had more awkward hugs than you can count. You have also dealt with pats on the head, people touching your face, and grabbing your hands. I’m sorry I was not aware that a smile gave you permission to touch me!

People have the expectation that you are always, ALWAYS nice.

The moment you say something sassy you always take a look around the room to see the look on peoples faces. It’s like you are speaking some foreign language that they do not understand. They are completely thrown off, and the room suddenly gets really quiet. For some reason, people get way more offended when you make a sassy comment vs. when someone who doesn't have ‘resting nice face’ makes a sassy comment.

They also think you can’t speak your mind.

Your opinions are never really taken too seriously. People generally just laugh them off, and then you have to make some kind of case to validate your opinion. The task gets old, and rather exhausting so you settle for making sassy comments instead.

People have no problem telling you what to do.

Having a smile on your face makes people think they can all of sudden be your boss. It’s like they think you don’t know what you are doing or need help because your face naturally smiles. I know what I am doing! This is not a dumb smile, it's just my face!!

When you are mad, it’s never taken really seriously.

People look at you like a chihuahua barking at a pitbull. You try really hard to mean mug people, but it never looks quite mad enough. You have learned that your fits of anger are better solved with the silent treatment until you’ve mustered up some big meaningful words to say as calmly and powerfully as possible.