I Am Woman

I Am Woman, Hear Me Roar

To all of the women that have taught me how to be myself

14
I Am Woman, Hear Me Roar
Meagan Pusser

Of all of the songs that have been on repeat for me lately, my absolute favorite has to be "***Flawless" by Beyoncé (and not just because it features Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie and she's one of my favorite people of all time). I love the beat and I love the message.

There's something so powerful about hearing Beyoncé tell you "Momma taught me good home training/ My Daddy taught me how to love my haters/ My sister taught me I should speak my mind". It contains something that I think we all need to learn and we all need to practice.

Let me begin by making one thing perfectly clear: this is not some feminist rant, so do not click away just because that's not "your thing" or because you "do not care".

Instead of going into the things about society reinforces that make me mad or the ways that being a woman, generally, sucks, I like to take an optimistic, appreciative outlook on my life.

As much as it honestly can suck sometimes, being a woman is kind of awesome. Actually, I think it's really awesome.

Sure, there are a few things that I wish were different (simply because they are entirely unfair and unequal) but there are still so many aspects of being female that I consider to be something I am proud of. Sure, some might think that those same things are actually disadvantages or burdens, but I don't. I like a good challenge. Without something we had to stand for, we would all be bored and life would not be interesting.

Life is about finding a new improvement when one has been accomplished.

At the risk of sounding like the stereotypical Southern Belle, "I learned that from my momma".

In fact, I learned it from all of the women in my life. My grandmothers, my aunts, my best friends, they've all had a hand in creating my image of what it means to be a woman in a modern society.

To me, being a woman in today's world means that there will be disadvantages. Sorry, we can't just go to bed one night with a slightly lower salary and stereotypes and wake up with equal pay and the freedom to be whatever we want without any judgment whatsoever.

It's not a perfect world and that's why we seek the improvements we require. That's why life is not boring.

Yes, it is unfair that some of the things that "come naturally" to men are considered strange when a woman proves herself capable of the same things. It's definitely unfair to get paid less in some fields just because you have a second X chromosome. It definitely sucks to feel so great about something you have accomplished only to have that joy taken down a notch by the comment "but you're a girl".

Thanks for reminding me.

No, seriously. Thank you for reminding me of the very thing that makes me strong and capable of all of the things that I have achieved in my life.

The obstacle of this part of my identity has been a blessing in my life because it pushes me to stand up for myself. It has taught me to respect myself, even when I feel that I shouldn't.

Watching my mom raise my brother and myself while working a job with long and irregular hours has taught me that I can be whatever I want to be and that includes multiple options. It's not an "either-or" choice, but a "how much can you manage" choice.

In the past few years, watching her continue to support my brother in his sports, take care of the house, and go back to school to get her Master's degree has taught me that being a mom doesn't mean you're stuck doing one thing for the rest of your life. You always have the option to push forward if you believe in yourself.

Both of my grandmothers have strong spirits, taking care of their families and being the best caretakers I have ever had the blessing of knowing...but they also don't take any crap. You knew what you were supposed to do and you knew that you were supposed to keep yourself in line.

But they've also supported me in whatever I wanted to do. Not once have I heard them say "that's not a good idea" when I told them about a project I wanted to do or an application I wanted to submit. It was always "good luck" because they knew I could do it, not because they thought I needed that luck.

Even watching my best friend make her own decisions, which I know have been tough for her, has been inspiring. Even if she doesn't believe it herself, I believe in her because I watch her pursue her dreams all the time through the daily Snapchats and excited text messages I receive. I believe in her because I know she can accomplish whatever she sets her mind to.

I believe in her because I have seen what a good support group of women can do for other women.

I also believe that this is exactly what all women need in their life: other women to raise them up to be the best that they can be, whatever that means for their personal situation in life.

No two people are the same and women are, in fact, people (shocker, right?). We all have different goals and the only thing that anyone should ever say to a woman following her dreams is "I know you can do it. I believe in you".