The Strong Bond Of Music

The Strong Bond Of Music

Music brings family and friends together, forming special connections in the most unexpected of ways sometimes, and those rare moments are truly amazing.

47
The Strong Bond Of Music
Unsplash

Growing up, I was constantly surrounded by a loud and engaging atmosphere of music. In our living room, my dad would blast classic rock, heavy metal, and nearly every subgenre of rock that existed before the 2010s. I would be immersed into the hypnotic melodies, captivating guitar riffs, and amazing drum beats. My dad would play air guitar and rock out with me as if he hadn’t aged since his high school days as a bass player in a rock band. I would also look forward to nights of listening and dancing along to the popular reunion concerts held in Moscow that we’d watch on TV, featuring hits from the ‘80s and ‘70s. My love for disco and pop grew from my childhood. I would sing, dance, and smile for hours with my parents enjoying the very hits that they listened to in the Soviet Union.

Friday night, I shared a personal experience with my mom in which music played the main role. Amidst family drama and our own personal stress, we don’t often share these kinds of special moments especially lately, preoccupied in our spheres of work. I could tell my mom was worn out from work and could use some cheering up and music is always there for me no matter what. I follow numerous Spotify playlists and immediately as I began to play some of our favorite songs from my ‘80s Smash Hits playlist, her mood shifted and a flicker of joy began to appear in her smile. From the one and only Michael Jackson to George Michael, Bonnie Tyler, Hall & Oates, Madonna, Duran Duran... With wide grins we sang and danced together to a-ha’s “Take On Me,” (I undoubtedly attempted to hit those crazy high notes); swayed to the smooth and infectious melody of George Michael’s “Careless Whisper;” sang along to love ballads like “Every Breath You Take” by The Police; gave a one night only dramatic performance to “It’s Raining Men” by The Weather Girls; and brought the sass to the amazing pop hit “Venus” by Bananarama. For my lovely mom, I also surprised her by playing the memorable vocals of Patrick Swayze from my mom’s all-time favorite movie “Dirty Dancing.”

What felt like hours went by, and it was already past midnight when she started getting ready for bed, but I kept the music playing. Listening to Sting’s most popular singles, with his comforting vocals and the entrancing smooth melodies, we began to succumb to slumber. As I stopped the music and left the room when my mom fell asleep, I felt this nostalgia and tranquility grow in my heart that I hadn’t felt in a while. We shared this special bonding experience, and connected through our love for ‘80s music.

The joy and laughter, dramatically singing and dancing unapologetically to the music I hold dear to my heart, fill my memories with happiness. Music brings family and friends together, forming special connections in the most unexpected of ways sometimes, and those rare moments are truly amazing. I recall them fondly and I am very grateful that I have had numerous experiences within the past few months, feeling to the fullest the strong bond of music. From classic rock to ‘70s and ‘80s hits, EDM, French music, current indie and alternative rock, rap and my recent venture into German music, I have shared my love for music with others and created memories which give that extra dose of joy and wonder to my often distressed self.