5 Ways To Prepare For Finals

5 Ways To Prepare For Finals

Some methods you can use to help get past the struggle and long haul of college students' least favorite week.

21
5 Ways To Prepare For Finals
HerCampus

Well here it is, the part of the semester that all us college students dread — finals week. A week in which we end up lacking a good amount of sleep, eat very little, feel stressed out and just want to go home for winter break. However, there are ways many college students can adjust and get through finals week in a more relaxing and simple manner without feeling stressed and downright lost.

1. Studying for Finals with Friends

Throughout my years in high school and especially now in college, I've always loved studying for tests and final exams with my friends. The reason is because I find studying with friends can help make it more fun because you are around people that you love and care about that want you to succeed. All I have to say is I would rather have group study sessions with my friends instead of studying by myself from a book or notebook in my room. It would make it less stressful and boring.

2. Eat

I know finals is one of those times where some college students don't eat a good amount of food during the week because they study for so many hours and stay focused on preparing for their exams. I too am a victim of not wanting to eat a lot during finals week since there's so much work I have to get done. However, for those who tend to not eat a lot during finals, I would encourage you to try and find a time to eat a full meal if you can. It can be a big breakfast in the morning, a big lunch in the afternoon, or a big dinner in the evening. You don't have to eat during all three of those times in the day, but as long as you pick a big meal for one of them, you'll feel more energetic and focused on your studies. Even if it's just a type of snack or a grill full of hot dogs, trust me, your whole body, especially your stomach, will appreciate it if you find some time every day of finals week to eat a good amount of food.

3. Study Breaks

I am one of those many college students that once I have to start studying for exams, I never stop and continue to study for hours upon hours, especially during finals week. However, I have learned that if I tend to study too much for a long period of time, I become very tired and unfocused on my work. So, if you are one of those students like me that decides to constantly look over their stuff for final exams and never stops, I encourage you to try taking a study break in between. Taking a nice half-hour or full hour break can help you soak up all the things you learned from your first study session, and it can also help you regain focus and do something fun for a little bit before you go back to study again. You can watch an episode of your favorite TV show, play a video game on your game console, listen to a favorite album of yours, or go hangout with a group of your friends.

4. Listening to Music While You Study

One thing that will keep you awake and focused while studying, at least for me, is listening to music. I listen to anything while I study, but I especially listen to classical and singer-songwriter type of music. The reason I choose those types of music is because it is relaxing, soothing, calming, and it keeps me focused on my studies for final exams. Now, I realize this method doesn't work for everybody because it might seem a little distracting. However, if you are looking for a new way to study during your upcoming finals week, I would suggest trying to listen to music while you study and see if has any positive effect. It doesn't necessarily have to be classical or any other type of relaxing music, you can pick whatever music floats your boat.

5. Sleep

I know that finals week is one where you pull "all-nighters" every day or get very little sleep at all. However, I stress to college students everywhere, please, please, please try to get a good amount of sleep during your finals week. Even getting a good night's sleep one day of the week would help. I know it sounds hard to get six hours of sleep any day during finals, but it's better to full night's rest and wake up the next morning prepared and ready to go for your exams than pulling an "all-nighter" and going into your exams trying to stay awake.

I hope some of these ways you can prepare for your finals week help make the experience a little less hectic for you, and I wish every college student out there good luck on their exams. Have a great winter break!