A Stress-Free Saturday

A Stress-Free Saturday

When a pre-med student has too much time on her hands.

39
A Stress-Free Saturday

With Thanksgiving break rapidly approaching, I only have a two-day week before I head home. Luckily, all of my important work was due the previous few weeks, and I have essentially zero work to do over the weekend. Being a biochemistry major and also a pre-med student, this is an extremely rare occurrence for me — so rare that this was actually my first weekend all semester that I had time to do whatever I wanted. My typical weekend routine consists of waking up, packing my bags, chugging (sometimes multiple) coffees to get a proper caffeine fix, and heading straight for the library. And that's where I'm stuck all day, until I finally feel accomplished enough to pack my things up and head home to bed. With absolutely no assignments/tests/quizzes to prepare for, I felt unbelievably free. Here is a look into my work-free Saturday.

8:00 a.m.: Alarm goes off. This is only because I forgot to turn my usual Saturday morning alarm off. I press snooze and fall back into a deep slumber.

10:00 a.m.: I wake up naturally without an alarm, then sit in bed for the next 30 minutes, thinking about how great it feels to sleep in.

10:45 a.m.: I finally get the energy to get up, brush my teeth and start my day.

11:15 a.m.: I head to the gym to get a long workout in. How nice it is to not rush through a workout in attempt to maximize study time!

12:30 p.m.: I run into a friend at brunch and make plans for the day. Plans that do not involve studying/reading/writing/even opening a book. Glorious.

1:00 p.m.: My friend and I walk to Star Market, a grocery store about two miles away. Walk. We absolutely could've driven, but why not take a leisurely stroll if you have the time? (NOTE: I had the time!)

2:30 p.m.: We leave the store, both hands full with large bags of groceries that we plan on cooking up when we get back. Because we felt lazy and the food was heavy, we took the bus back.

3:15 p.m.: After stocking the fridge with the groceries, I sit on the couch and join my other roommates in watching part of "White Chicks." Luckily, I caught just the right part when the dance-off was happening.

4:00 p.m.: My friends and I decide to start cooking tonight's dinner. The menu includes a balanced meal of buffalo chicken dip, spinach-artichoke bread, blondie-brownies, and Reeses-Pieces cookies.

5:15 p.m.: With the help of my lovely roommates, all ingredients are mixed together and everything is ready to be cooked. Although very unlikely that it is even possible, I contemplate changing my major to cooking.

5:45 p.m.: My dreams are crushed when I catch a whiff of burning chocolate chips from the oven. We decide to order two pizzas, just in case our masterpieces don't come out as well as we expected.

6:15 p.m.: Everything is out of the oven and it looks glorious.

6:30 p.m.: We set up all the food and turn the Boston College-Notre Dame football game on.

6:35 p.m.: Exactly 5 minutes later, almost all of the buffalo-chicken dip is consumed.

The rest of the night was filled with laying on the couch in a food coma, screaming when BC scored a touchdown, and eventually being angry when Notre Dame won. When reflecting on the day, I realized how unbelievably calm I felt. This made me realize that I add unnecessary a.m.ounts of stress on myself when I have schoolwork due. It felt really great to act like a "normal" college student instead of locking myself up in the library all day. I came to the conclusion that from now on, I'll stop being so tough on myself and allow more leisurely time every weekend. And I'll make more buffalo chicken dip.