It's Not A Competition, But Stress And Anxiety Induced Depression Is Just As Bad As Clinical Depression

Sometimes I don't even realize I'm stressed or have anxiety about something until I've been feeling down for 5 days and keep thinking about it over and over again.

268
Hermes Rivera // Unspalsh

I like to believe that everyone gets stressed and anxious but the way people deal with that stress or anxiety is very different.

Some people like stress, it drives them to get the things they need to get done, done.

And then others like to shy away from stress, they want to run away from their stress which causes them more stress. Anxiety is the feeling of worry, nervousness, and uneasiness to an extreme, some people can get through it with deep breaths and thinking of other things while others can’t stop thinking about how anxious and they start to feel more anxious.

Those people that can’t stop thinking about their stress and anxiety are the people that go through a flood of feelings that make them believe they are hopeless, helpless, ashamed, guilty; they start to resent themselves because they aren’t able to calm themselves or control their stress. In other words, they're depressed.

This depression comes from the chronic stress and the uneasiness we feel towards situations that shouldn’t stress us or make us feel uneasy. Symptoms of chronic stress are irritability, loss of sleep and concentration, but for a person that’s always irritated and doesn’t sleep well does that mean that they're stressed?

Over the past year, I have realized that I can get stressed for a major period of time.

I like stress, it drives me to get things done, but I've learned that if I get too stressed I shut down and the only thing I want to do it sleep so I don't have to think about how stressed I am. When I shut down and sleep, I get more stressed because instead of doing what I need to be doing I decided to sleep. I later start to get anxiety because I'm worried about if I'll get the stuff done. And then I learn that I need to stop being anxious about it because I will get it done before it needs to be done, but I am still anxious.

That's when the feelings of guilt and shame come in.

I start to think of myself in a bad way, I don't really want to talk to anyone, I listen to my music all the way up so people know not to talk to me, I have more than one sudden urge to cry a day but I end up holding it in.

Sometimes you don’t even know you're depressed.

Anyone can be losing sleep or their concentration and be irritable and not have chronic stress. You don’t really know until you're overwhelmed and you have the sudden urge to cry and you don’t know why that you might have chronic stress.

All types of depression are bad.

It makes you feel like your just a waste of space in the world and personally I feel like the worst part of it, it thinking that you have no one to talk to about your feelings when your feeling sad but there's so much awareness in the world about it that if we did open up about our feelings we would feel that way.