new season of stranger things review

Sorry, But The New Season Of 'Stranger Things' Was A Disappointment

In my honest opinion, I believe that the new season of "Stranger Things" really fell short of all the hype. **THIS ARTICLE WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS**

41

In my honest opinion, I believe that the new season of "Stranger Things" really fell short of all the hype.

Throughout the whole season, Mike, one of the main characters, was absolutely useless. From the start of the series, Mike displayed himself as the leader of the group and capable of making tough decisions for the group. And, though his actions created some issues, he generally was followed by the pack. However, this was a little less true in season two, in which the whole time he was mourning over Eleven's "death." And, yet again, his leadership was missing in season three. Although I understand that the writers' intention of making him have character development but his only characteristic became his obsession of Eleven.

Even with this one characteristic, Mike didn't really do that in this season. While the love story between Mike and Eleven is one of the cutest love stories around, this season didn't really have that. After the long-awaited Snowball, I like many other viewers were waiting for season three to have more progression in their relationship. Though we got that in the first couple of episodes, that was promptly met with the breakup between both characters. I understand the breakup was necessary for Eleven to develop a sense of independence and become more badass than she actually is right now but that breakup really showed Mike's immature boyish side. Still, I give him credit as just a teenager.

While the love between Eleven and Mike was scattered throughout this season and short-lived, so many other characters began relationships. The Max and Lucas couple also was implied but never really shown. But, on the teenage romance end, all of those boys were just immature and frustrating besides for really Dustin and Suzie, who only pops up for like 2.5 seconds. However, the romantic relationship between Hopper and Joyce was kinda annoying in my opinion. In the season, they made a good team solving the mystery behind the invading Russians, but they BICKERED perpetually. It was almost frustrating to watch, especially when Hopper was projecting his life issues onto his failed "date" with Joyce. The only couple, who had a lot of screen time, worth watching was Nancy and Jonathan.

This season of "Stranger Things" also had an emphasis on strong female characters with the introduction of Erica and Robin as well as the character development of Eleven, Nancy, and Karen? (aka Mrs. Wheeler). Although I liked watching this and how much it empowered women, I didn't really like the character of Erica. She seemed super sassy and kinda too logical for any of the characters. I didn't feel like she added a lot to the series or added herself into the series too quickly. In addition, I felt bad that Eleven had to do everything... maybe to emphasize how powerful the mind flayer was this season or maybe to show future character development. But, whenever El was in danger, it seemed that none of the characters could help her, froze while she was being hurt, or got knocked out. Though she's independent and can make her own rules, I personally don't think feminism is not depending on anyone or having to go it alone if you are a powerful female individual.

Although I liked the LGBTQ representation this season with both Will and Robin being revealed as queer, I thought it was unnecessary that the writers really wanted to save that plot twist until the very end of the season to reassert that Robin and Steve will never happen. While the audience was shipping the couple the whole time, that heart to heart conversation last-minute sunk that ship. However, I really felt like the writers forcefully placed in that plot twist somewhat out of nowhere just to mess with the audience. In addition, I love how Will's sexual orientation was brushed off so quickly in one argument with Mike. Throughout the rest of the season, this shocking discovery was never addressed. I have considered that addressing Will's sexual orientation bluntly will. And, by brushing it to the side, it means that it is not a big deal, highlighting how normalized respecting other people's sexual orientations are. In a perfect and inclusive world, every sexual orientation, etc would be accepted and considered less of a big deal that it didn't have to be addressed in a grandiose way. However, understanding how important romance was this season with almost every main character finding themselves in a relationship, I felt bad for Will as the odd man out. Seeing Will, one of the main characters from the beginning, discover himself or navigate through this new environment could have been an interesting take on things too.

Was anyone else upset that two characters "died" this season? Both Billy and Hopper "died," and I felt like the writers took a lot from his. Although I have my suspicions of whether Hopper is actually gone, I believe that it was overkill to kill off two main characters. While Billy's death was awfully tragic, he did die honorably. But, now that Hopper is gone, that makes it 10x harder for things to get done in that town. Without any chief of police who breaks rules, private investigates and beats up the bad guys- without a character like that, I find it super hard to actually progress the plot or find government secrets, therefore making season four a lot harder without him.

Feel free to disagree with my review of season three, but I, like the rest of us, have our opinions.