"Stranger Things 2" Feels Darker And And Goes Deeper

SPOILER ALERT

49

Alright. It has been about a week and a half since "Stranger Things 2" was released. The timing was perfect with Halloween right around the corner, and of course, the whole season was released at once. If you are like me you watched it all in one go. So let's talk.

Overall, I thought it was pretty dang good. The character development was much more complex than the first season, which I loved. However, the introduction of the new characters of Billy and Maxime was slightly rocky for me.

At first, we got no background on them except for the fact that they were from California. It felt that they were just fillers for the characters that had shifted from the last season; Eleven who was M.I.A. after killing the Demogorgon at the end of season one, and Steve who was the "jock bully" turned nice boyfriend of Nancy Wheeler. I get that the writers needed to fill the human villain role and the girl in the gang of misfits, but it felt forced when they first arrived.

The character of Billy had no build up to being the "king," it was like he instantly had a posy of friends with whom he could bully people. Maxime was better presented than Billy, but I resonated with Mike thinking Maxime was trying to take the place of Eleven, and that can't really be done.

By the end of the season, you get a better understanding of both characters with, at least, a little background with their parents' divorce and the abusive behavior of the father towards Billy. I hope that the next season expands more on these characters though so they don't stay so superficial.

As much as I wanted Eleven to hang with the gang, I loved her side story. Right now there seems to be a bunch of negativity surrounding episode seven "The Lost Sister." but they are not thinking about the broader spectrum of the show.

Out of all of season 2, this episode is the only one that gives us any insight as to what to expect in the coming seasons. There was the question, from the beginning of season one: Where are all the other numbers? We get to see Eight (Kali) in this season and it sets up the scene to have the other numbers make an appearance.

I am really excited to see how the writers bring them all together. It was also nice to see Eleven's past with more depth. We always knew she was with papa in that lab being tested, but we never knew why or how she got there, and this season gave us a little taste, which was great for the development of Eleven's (or Jane's) Character.

I also cannot wait to see the further exploration of "Dad" Steve with all the kids. Since the kids' parents never seem to be too invested in their lives (except Joyce of course) Steve was the perfect balance between tough older brother and protective father, especially with Dustin.

This coupling was my favorite in this season by far, because it seems so random but ends up fitting so well because they are both the rejected one in separate love triangles. As much as I want Steve and Nancy to be together, I love this new role that Steve has taken on and honestly, Nancy doesn't deserve the new and improved Steve.

Also, I have to say, I did not like the love triangle between Lucas, Dustin, and Max. It felt forced and strange because personally I just think they are too young. I mean they are supposed to be 13 and 14! They should have made it more friendship based rather than romantic and have it evolve into something more romantic when they get a little older.

I know I cannot brush over it, but I really don't want to talk about it... BOB NEWBY DESERVED BETTER! He was the purest character, and Sean Astin brought so much life to the show especially if you knew him from The Lord of the Rings as Samwise Gamgee.

I don't know about you, but I had a small suspicion that he could be evil but then I saw him as Dracula and I knew he would never hurt a fly. The most horrifying and depressing scene of all the seasons is the wide shot of the Demodogs just eating him for a solid thirty seconds. I was distraught. I will miss Bob Newby in the next season and he will forever be my superhero.

"Stranger Things 2" was a thrill (I'm sure people will be talking about it until the Game of Thrones final season premiere) and I wait anxiously for season three... in a year. The kids are going into High School, there are other "lab rats" like Eleven running around, and the Mind Flayer is still looming, so I am sure we will not be disappointed when the new season finally comes!