Highlights From Season 2 Of "Stranger Things"

Just when you thought it couldn't get any stranger.

74
Kwame Opam

Welcome to the town of Hawkins, Indiana, circa 1984, where things only go from bad to worse and little girls have magical powers. Don’t believe me? Well, clearly you aren’t caught up on "Stranger Things", in which case, turn on Netflix and get watching!

Here are some of the highlights of season 2 of "Stranger Thing" and my reaction to it all.

The first point that needs to be addressed is the actual plot of the show. The plotline itself really doesn’t kickstart until the fourth or fifth episode. It really takes a while for the season to jump into action. The first few episodes focus mainly on introducing new characters such as Billy and Max and re-introducing the returning characters. Because it’s been a year not only in real time but also in the shows time, the first few episodes are used to show how each character has changed over the past year. Although it’s a slow start, the ending makes up for it.

An interesting aspect of the series, which I thought was genius and a great addition to the story, was the sort of “father-daughter” type relationship between Eleven and Hopper. In the first few episodes, their scenes remain fairly calm and you can see that they have formed a bond over the last year with Eleven beginning to trust Hopper. However, as the story goes on, the tension between the two characters grows. There are several scenes where the two are fighting and Eleven actually uses her powers on him which, I think, was excellently demonstrated throughout.

In addition to Eleven forming a relationship with Hopper, she also has moments of rebellion against him. In episode 7, we as an audience learn alongside Eleven about her past. We get to see her mom and learn about her “lost sister.” However, there is no real closure of what happened to Eleven in the past. We still are unsure of how many “brothers” or “sisters” she may have out there. I hope we get to learn more about Eleven’s past as the series continues.

Alright, so enough about Eleven for now. Can we talk about Steve’s character development? In the second half of the season, after being brutally dumped (can we even call it that?) by Nancy, Steve takes on a sort of older brother, babysitter role with the kids. In the beginning of the series, Steve was made out to be a very flat and stereotypical douchebag character. However, do not expect the old Steve in this season. As much as I loved seeing Nancy and Steve together, Jonathan can have her because she does not deserve season 2 Steve. Also, I didn’t know I needed a Steve and Dustin friendship until it was graciously given to me by the Duffer Brothers, so thank you.

Another important aspect of this season can only be addressed in three simple words: JUSTICE FOR BOB. There, I said it, somebody had to.

Along with justice for Bob, I think we need a little justice for Will. I mean come on, the kid has probably some of the shittiest luck I have ever seen. First, he gets stuck in the Upside Down with this Demogorgon who is terrorizing him and his family and friends. Then, opening into season 2, he has these visions of the Upside Down that we soon realize aren’t visions at all. Actually, he has the ability to travel between the two worlds because wait for it… he is connected to the Shadow Monster aka the Mind Flayer. This poor kid cannot catch a break and I have a feeling it is only going to get worse.

The last thing I want to highlight about season 2 is the highly anticipated Mike and Eleven reunion. And let me tell you, it did not fall short of my expectations. All season we see a sort of digression in Mike’s character or as I like to call him “emo Mike.” You can tell from the beginning of the season his separation from Eleven and his experiences in the past year, have definitely taken a toll on him. However, one of the higher points of his character is when Eleven makes a badass return to save the day at the end of episode 8. When the two meet eyes you can see the emotion behind them and just how much the two have gone through in the past year. Also, let’s not forget that Mike called Eleven every day for 353 days. If that’s not dedication, I don’t know what is. Step it up, guys!

I tried my best not to give away too much of the actual plot in case you read this before watching season 2. However, I don’t want any of this to take away from the amazing cinematography, stimulating plot line or action-packed scenes that occurred throughout the season. What I touched on were just a few highlights that I thought made the season just a little bit better and some ideas that you may not have thought about while binge-watching all nine episodes. I strongly recommend anyone who enjoys action-packed, adventurous sci-fi, to give this show a try because it definitely will not disappoint.