Straight Out Of New York Fashion Week

Straight Out Of New York Fashion Week

Can you pin point a moment in your life where you felt your dreams actually coming true? Last week, that was me.
134

Can you pin point a moment in your life where you felt your dreams actually coming true? Has there been a time where you look up and around and think that everything you have been working for is being paid off? Last week, I had that moment.

This past summer, I had an internship with a pencil skirt company. This company, WRITTEN Apparel, encourages their customers to live out their dreams and aspirations and make it, #ToTheTop. As women in the working world, it can be hard to balance a crazy work schedule, trying to constantly be bad a$$ in our careers and look stellar. WRITTEN Apparel has found a way to accomplish them all. So, when I found out I had the opportunity to work with them at New York Fashion Week, there was no way I could pass up this incredible opportunity.

During my time in NYC with WRITTEN, I was apart of trunk shows and photo shoots. I learned how the pencil skirts were made from the Garment District. I worked with several creative minds and learned the ins and outs of the fashion industry in New York.

But what did I truly learn from this experience?

1. I could live in NYC

Previously, going to New York City for vacations and fun had actually scared me away from the thought of ever living in NYC. As a tourist, the city is large, heavily populated by very different people and has an overall very crazy atmosphere. During this trip and experience, I was able to see what it would be like to live in NYC and be apart of the fashion industry, not just as a tourist. Seeing how others in the industry communicate was brilliant and learning the true NY hustle and bustle was needed. From traveling, I know that I want to be indulged in the busy city life. I feel like in that lifestyle, I would be able to help others and conquer as an independent woman.

2. New Yorkers in business are willing to help each other

I had always heard that in big cities, people are so focused on getting their brand to the top...after this week I learned that is not always true. The people I worked with were willing to help WRITTEN in ways I had never seen before. Helping others in this industry comes full circle to getting more and new connections and can also get your name out in ways you didn't think was possible.

3. I love being around other creative minds

Sometimes it can be hard being in a place where people don't always see my vision or my creative way. In NYC I was able to learn from the most creative people I had ever met. I felt like my creative being was welcomed and wanted. I felt comfortable, pushed, desired and inspired!

4. Dressing for YOU is OK

None of this, "What will others think?" or "How can I fit in?" crap. People in the city and in this industry push to color outside the lines. No matter if you are head to toe in high-end brands or making vlogs in vintage stores, your fashion is personal and is loved and admired by many. I have never been so inspired and comfortable to be truly 100% who I am as a woman. My style was able to be heard and I was able to learn from others.

5. Networking is everything

It is time to say goodbye to doing everything on your own, it's about who you know. Being with WRITTEN Apparel, I learned the significance and the importance of knowing people who can help you grow. I also was able to see that having a wide variety of mentors who can connect you to others will only do you good in this world while trying to get your name out there.

NYCFW... we will meet again.