A Few Stories About Kids To Lighten Your Mood

Kids just do the darnedest things

27
crystalandcomp.com

For practically my entire life I have been around children, both in my personal life as well as my work life. I have several younger cousins, I have worked in a day camp with preschoolers and for the last two years I have been teaching piano to children as young as five. Throughout this time I have to say, I have accumulated some pretty great stories about kids and the cutest things that they do. So sit back, relax, and read through this article in order to have a smile spread across your face!

(All names of children have been changed to protect their identity)

"Why are your eyes brown if you're a different color than me?" - L, age 5

"You shouldn't kill ants because we are all God's creatures." - C, age 5

"If you didn't meet your boyfriend at school or work where did you meet him?" - S, age 5

"You have a ring in your nose, do you know bulls have rings in their nose too?" - L, age 5

"Do you have a ring in your nose because you're a rebel?" - D, age 5

1. Callie

I was a counselor at a day camp in the preschool department with five year olds when we had some down time and gave all of the campers some crayons and coloring activities on each table. Unfortunately, each table had a limited number of crayons so not every color was displayed. One of the campers, Callie, got up from her seat as my fellow counselors and I were watching, nervous she would start taking crayons from another table. Instead, she offered a trade. She asked a few campers at another table if she could give them the red crayon since they didn't have one and in trade she would take the blue crayon. To our surprise this worked so well that every camper in our group adopted the idea, shouting out the color they were finished with and ready to trade. Everyone was able to get every color without fighting. If only adults could learn to get along that easily!

2. Sammi

One day I was lining up my campers when I turned around to see one of the boys punch one of the girls, Sammi, right in the stomach! Shocked and disappointed I immediately called his name and they both turned around, knowing automatically what it was I was mad about. Sammi looked at me waving her hands going, "No, no Sara it's okay! I punched him first really hard so I let him hit me back so that we're even!" I looked at the both of them, trying my best not to laugh, and told them to never hit each other again because it's not the right thing to do. On the inside, however, I found this whole unprecedented situation very sweet, especially because neither one of them were hurt.

3. Mark

Over the same summer, I had a 6 year old camper named Mark. Halfway through the summer he developed a crush on me. One day my fellow counselors and I were outside on the jungle gym with the kids when we were talking to Mark. One of my counselors turned to him and said "Mark, do you have a crush on Sara?" He looked at me embarrassed and shook his head no. So I said don't worry, I'll close my eyes and you can tell them. So she asked him and again and with my eyes closed he yelled, "yes!" For the rest of the summer he tried to hold my hand every chance he got, and at one point even rattled off his address and phone number telling me I can babysit him whenever I want.

4. Cristina

I have one 5 year old student where I teach piano, Cristina, who just says some of the best things. During one of her first lessons she hit the keyboard with her knee on accident and it moved just a little bit. She looked at me with a completely shocked face and I said "It's okay don't worry!" to which she replied, "Wow that was crazy! That could've been really bad because the piano could've fallen over and then it could've caught fire and then we all could've died!" Completely shocked with this reaction I was trying so hard not to laugh, and when she caught me smiling she asked "Miss Sara why are you laughing do you think I'm funny?" Yes, yes I do think you're very funny.

5. The Twins

Not too long ago I went out to the movies with my boyfriend and his 8 year old twin cousins. After the movie we were in the car on the way home talking to the two girls. One of them said to my boyfriend, "Nick when we are ten we want you to get married." The both of us laughed and he replied, "You realize that's in two years right?" She nodded her head yes and smiled. I turned around and said, "So who do you want Nick to marry then?" She looked at me and said "Well, we like you and you're nice, and you're a good friend and you would make a good cousin, so you can marry Nick!" Glad to know I have her blessing!

Children have an innocent way of looking at life. They are resilient, and they are always looking at life in a positive light and trying to make the best out of everything. Most of the time they are kind to one another, and they try their best to make friends with every new person they meet. We as adults are always trying to teach children, but once in a while we should really turn around and let children teach us some things, it turns out we have a lot to learn.