I stopped wearing makeup and this happened...

Shockingly, the world kept spinning.

124

I think I was about 13 when I started wearing a full face of makeup every day. Liquid foundation, set with a powder foundation, black eyeliner in my waterline, sometimes eyeliner on the top, and mascara. Let's just say, I could've been the walking definition of "cake face".

My skin has been a struggle for years and years. Ever since the 6th grade, I've had horrible acne. Sometimes it would get worse around my period, but for the most part, it was just bad all around. When I learned that concealer existed, I felt like I could finally be normal.

I decided, once I was in my senior year in my undergrad, that spending an extra twenty minutes applying makeup was not something I wanted to be doing anymore. I had been spending that five to twenty minutes putting on makeup every morning for my entire life... And for what?

So I decided to stop wearing makeup. This is what happened...

My skin cleared up.

Of course, I still get the occasional horrible zit or mild breakout around my period, but my skin has never been more even, soft, and supple.

I cracked down on my skincare routine. I took the money that I was investing in makeup and applied that to skincare products - sunscreen, a good moisturizer, a nice cleanser.

I wore cute clothes...and got complimented.

There seems to be this crazy thought that if you're not wearing makeup, you must've just rolled out of bed and didn't have time to get ready. Girls sometimes think that if they're not wearing makeup, they're going to look slummy, frumpy, or like a lazy bum.

I wore the same stuff I always wore. I got complimented often, and no one asked me, "Are you okay?"

I began to feel really proud of myself.

I felt really cool in the skin I was in. It was nice to know that, even though I'm not perfect, I am enough.

The world does not fall apart if you stop decide not to wear makeup one day. Boys still will talk to you in bars if you don't have eyeliner on fleek.

Nowadays, I wear makeup on special occasions.

I wore it the other night for a birthday party; I wore it to go to the DMV because I didn't want a zit to be in my driver's license photo for the next ten years; I wore it to my first day of work.

I'm not damning makeup or saying that you should never wear it. I respect makeup as an art form and I love playing around with it. What I am saying, is that you shouldn't let it be the thing that allows you to feel like a functioning and respected human being, worthy of space, time, and love.

So maybe next time you go out to a park or your 7 p.m. class, you decide that your face is beautiful just the way it is. You might be surprised at how much you appreciate yourself afterwards.